By desperate - 05/10/2012 09:47 - Malta - Paola

Today, as an introduction to the history of China, I asked my APA World History class to write a 500 word essay on a historical Chinese person. Out of a class of 18, five of them were about Mulan. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 034
You deserved it 5 034

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I bet a lot of them were about Jackie Chan as well

See, I would have been more creative... Mine would have been about Mushu.

Comments

foxtrousers 14

I don't know if you realize this but there is a ballad of Mulan, depicting a female warrior from China who fought in the war. A lot of historians aren't sure if she was real or not but it's a lot like the epic of Gilgamesh where there's a lot of factual things behind all the hoopla

Bludmagnus 13

Actually, Hua Mulan, the legendary figure the movie is based on, very well could have been a real person.

CloudySkye 11

Hua Mulan is a real person! She is not the disney movie character exactly but she did masquerade as a boy to fight in the army! If you are an AP teacher, shouldn't you know this?

Milan actually was a real historical person

Wow, it is amazing how few people who posted here know the difference between 'historical' and ,legendary'. One big difference between a historial figure and a legenary figure is that for one of them the existence is confirmed through official writings of that period, timelines, authorship of surviving artwork/books and often also their bones. The other ones are just covered by folk tales and poems. Did King Richard Lionheart exist? Yes, there are tons of official documents about him. We know his ancestors, his lifedata and his heirs. We know where he is buried. Can anybody say the same about Robin Hood? No. Depending on the age of the poem he didn't even 'exist' at the same time as Richard, but up to a few centuries earlier. The person who wrote the first story and those people who changed it over the centuries were probably inspired by real people, but that doesn't make Robin Hood a real authentic historical person. It makes him a legend. And whe the topic of an essay is 'historical figure', the writing about a legend is quite obviously off-topic. My French classes would have been so much easier if I could have written about Asterix instead of Charlesmagne.

Mortoli 30
WD_Stevens 22

Ignoring the Disney stuff, was the legend of Mulan based on a true story?

I would do it about Mulan as well lol

As a descendent from China, I can honestly ask you: what the hell are you doing teaching world history?! Mulan did ******* exist as a real female warrior in ancient China, you dumb twat. And Disney just happened to get their inspiration from her story, that's all.