By desperate - 05/10/2012 09:47 - Malta - Paola

Today, as an introduction to the history of China, I asked my APA World History class to write a 500 word essay on a historical Chinese person. Out of a class of 18, five of them were about Mulan. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 032
You deserved it 5 034

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I bet a lot of them were about Jackie Chan as well

See, I would have been more creative... Mine would have been about Mushu.

Comments

bellatrix0805 2

Hey I would of done the same.

Perhaps next time you need to specify 'no persons referenced in folk tales'. Most folk tales do originate from actual events.

The disney film Mulan was actually based on a true story! Looks like 5 of your students know more about Chinese history than you do (;

ideasrule 13

Mulan is a LEGENDARY person. She's like Robin Hood, Achilles, Odysseus, King Arthur, or Jesus; they were probably based on real people, and some of the folklore surrounding them are probably true, but there's little to none reliable historical information about them.

Sounds like something that would happen in Crawford's apwh class. We see where the future is heading.

redhedsaysrawr 18

:D well well well what are the odds? haha... I saw something about Crawford and figured it had to be someone I knew... :P

ideasrule 13

I've read way too many posts from ignorant people proclaiming "Mulan is real!!!" Mulan is a LEGENDARY person. She's like Robin Hood, Achilles, Odysseus, King Arthur, or Jesus; they were probably based on real people, and some of the folklore surrounding them are probably true, but there's little to no reliable historical information about them.

As long as they didn't base it on the Disney crap, so what? Mulan was a historical figure and downright cool. If you ask me YDI for assigning an essay at the start of class rather than halfway through the course when you had studied some other historical figures. Next time make a list of historical figures for students to choose from or make them run the historical figures by you for approval first. You're welcome.

Birdjr1995 5

Please tell me there was at least one about Sun Tzu

perdix 29

My second choice is General Tso. How did he cook all that delicious chicken while leading his troops in battle? I guess the peanuts and spicy peppers gave his troops the energy and the heat to fight and win.

KazeTanukisan 4

Did any of them do one on Mushu?