By Anonymous - 15/11/2010 12:06 - Netherlands

Today, after spending two weeks renovating my room and $1000 on paint and a new floor, my landlord told me that he's sold the house. Also, he was kind enough to inform me that unless I paint the walls back to white, I won't be getting my $500 deposit back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 398
You deserved it 19 752

Same thing different taste

Top comments

LoveINKs 0

why would you spend that money replace you rent anyways YDI

Xquisite1 28

ydi, for making changes to a place that inlt yours

Comments

You definitely should have given the landlord a heads up before throwing away that much money! But the landlord should have also given you a heads up they were trying to sell the house..

If your landlord sells the house, you still got the right to live there according to Dutch laws. In Dutch: (Koop breekt geen huur, dus hij kan je er niet uitzetten;) )

Or, Huur gaat voor Koop. Basically the landlord has to sell the house with the lease agreement unless he goes insolvent and there was a mortgage on the property prior to the tenant living there. Furthermore, you, as a tenant, do have a claim against the landlord for improvements made even if you didn't ask. And this is Dutch law not American law where you guys sue for everything. So, FML because the landlord is being a douche.

I guess I can't really say for Dutch laws, but my understanding is that in most countries, they only have the right to stay there if their contract hasn't expired. If their contract expires and the landlord refuses to renew it because he's selling the house, well then normally they'd have to get out.

dude, it'll cost more than 500$ to in renovate it. tell him to keep it.

HBubble 3

YDI for decorating someone else's property.

wwerulez14 6

This happened to my Dad with our first house. We kept the house in great shape, greatly improved the lawn, put a tire swing on the tree in the front yard, and basically, made the house much more valuable. So guess what Mr. Landlord did? "I'm selling the house; scram!" My dad will never trust a landlord ever again.... lol

pretty sure keeping the yard in good nick and putting a tyre swing in doesn't make a house THAT much more valuable.

Curb appeal is more valuable than u realize.

Euroguy20 0

I would throw paint all over the new floors and walls and tell him to keep his deposit hahahahaha

Hi! Did you read the name of this website? iIt's pretty clear you ****** yourself through a combination of stupidity and naïveté, especially after you dropped a $1000 fixing up a place you RENT. Good luck in this life! You'll need it. It's a lot harder when you're stupid.

birds_fml 7

Why would you spend money to fix up a place you don't even own? I can see something like new curtains or whatever, things you can take with you. Maybe even a coat of paint if you're willing to paint it back when you leave. But new floors? $1000?! What are you, retarded?

starberries 0

It should say, "Today, after I spent two weeks..." The way it is now, it says that the landlord is the one who did the renovations, which obviously isn't the intention.