By Anonymous - 15/11/2010 12:06 - Netherlands

Today, after spending two weeks renovating my room and $1000 on paint and a new floor, my landlord told me that he's sold the house. Also, he was kind enough to inform me that unless I paint the walls back to white, I won't be getting my $500 deposit back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 398
You deserved it 19 752

Same thing different taste

Top comments

LoveINKs 0

why would you spend that money replace you rent anyways YDI

Xquisite1 28

ydi, for making changes to a place that inlt yours

Comments

why would u spend that much money renovating a room in a house you don't even own. u deserved that one big time

franwins0827 7

YDI for spending that much money renovating a place that is not yours.

faenyx 0

you're an idiot. YOU ARE A TENANT. I can understand painting, but it was a dumb move on replacing the floor, when you don't own the place. also, never make changes without running it by the landlord first. if you have $1000 to throw away. save your money on a downpayment for a house.

you shoulda asked permission first if you didn't but usually that's the way it is wherever ya go ya have to have it look the way it did upon arrival

As my parents are landlords, asking you to put it back the way it was seems fair enough to me, you're lucky you get to leave the floor. If you asked permission first (which you defiantly should have done) then it is a bit mean of your landlord not to warn you.

You totally should have asked. Standard rule in rented places that you're not allowed to do anything, certainly not without asking!

Aside from you being pretty dumb for renovating a rented space, I think the bigger FML here is that you now have to find a new place on short notice.

...ok ydi for one thing, but then again I have always wanted to put a personalized plate on the bus.

Let me get this straight? You did a bunch of expensive (and according to the landlord, potentially ugly/stupid) modifications WITHOUT getting the permission of the person who actually owns the place? There's no way this is anything but an YDI. It would only have been an FML if you had permission and he changed his mind. Rebuilding/repainting anything that doesn't belongs to you is always dumb, unless you have permission and it's not an ugly/unwelcome modification. My dad's renters repainted the walls black... guess what, we didn't like it either.