By Anonymous - 15/11/2010 12:06 - Netherlands

Today, after spending two weeks renovating my room and $1000 on paint and a new floor, my landlord told me that he's sold the house. Also, he was kind enough to inform me that unless I paint the walls back to white, I won't be getting my $500 deposit back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 398
You deserved it 19 752

Same thing different taste

Top comments

LoveINKs 0

why would you spend that money replace you rent anyways YDI

Xquisite1 28

ydi, for making changes to a place that inlt yours

Comments

I thought it was common sense that you can't paint walls that you rent…

rasellersjr 0

Sometimes common sense is not as common as some would think....

Actually it depends on your lease, but most places are ok with painting as long as u paint back. My complex allows u to paint and u can leave it as long as it can be covered easily,

sallen0046 4

Why would you renovate any rental you don't have a long term lease on that states the owner won't sell until your contract is up? On top of that, who puts new flooring in only one room of a house? Most rentals require you to paint the walls white before you leave or they don't return your deposit. Don't blame the owner because you didn't research your rental agreement and made unapproved renovations.

Given that OP is from the Netherlands and apparently only renting a single room, I suspect that by "room" they actually mean "dorm" (the Dutch word is the same for both). In that case, it's likely that OP rented the room completely bare, ie. just cement for a floor... meaning you are actually *supposed* to renovate it yourself. Well, unless you prefer to live on a bare cement floor, I guess. :P That being said, I have no idea why you'd want to spend $1000 renovating your (short term lease) dorm O.o I just moved into my own dorm last week (that I have a long term lease for) and spent $90 on the cheapest wooden floor I could find plus $50 on basic paint. Works just fine :)

Hey 18, maybe you can answer this: In the Netherlands, is it even legal for a renter to be kicked out after a sale? I'd look it up myself, but I had a hard enough time finding US laws about this, and I'm guessing most of the relevant info will be in Dutch anyway. I ask because I wouldn't have a problem putting some cash and elbow grease into a rental, as long as the rent was low enough, and I had a reasonable expectation of a long-term rental. But I wouldn't do it if I knew the house was for sale and I could get booted soon.

18 - if the OP meant 'dorm', then why didn't they just say 'dorm'? They wrote the post in English, not Dutch. Also, it says the landlord sold the 'house'. Which makes it sound like they weren't renting a 'dorm'.

#76 - Because they might not have known there was a separate word for "dorm" in English? Who knows. Also, many student houses in the Netherlands are just that -- regular family houses, with all (say 2 to 5) bedrooms being rented out separately as dorms and the students sharing the house's original kitchen and bathroom. Besides, even if it was a regular (non-dorm) room, the conditions in which you get those are often the same (ie. stripped bare). #32 - Not really an expert on our laws, but according to #29 and #44 below, sale of the house does not invalidate the tenants' contracts. So unless OP had a short term lease that happened to run out at around the same time, or there was a clause in it stating the lease would be terminated by sale of the house, I guess she can't actually be kicked out.

well since you are pretty much screwed on the money for the new white paint which I dunno how much you will spend but why not just **** the walls up...black or red paint is the hardest to cover up just buy a bucket and draw on every wall also you can buy bugs so why not infest the house! lol fyl

Don't know how it is in the Netherlands but where I live, that will land you in court. OP violated the lease; that's not the landlord's fault.

skyeyez9 24

I would never paint a rental home. What's the point? It isn't your house, plus when you move, you wasted $1000.

what?? who uses dollars in the netherlands?

Did you even talk to the landlord before you renovated your place? It certainly sounds like you didn't. Why would you ever spend $1000 on renovating a rental?

NEVER EVER do anything in a rented house/apartment without first letting the landlord/owner know. I have been dragged to court several times for refusing to return security deposits when tenants moved out and they had repainted the walls in every single room to what they wanted. If they ask ahead of time, no big deal honestly, as long as its colors I have no issue with.

NEVER EVER reforms an apartment you're renting EVER

starfuryt550 3

You should've thought it through more before you acted lol.

deannoz 0

FYL, sorry OP! Landlords suck!