By Anonymous - 27/08/2014 03:19 - United States - Topeka

Today, a guy in my class was talking about himself. He started his story with, "When I was little, I was a ginger." I replied without thinking, "Is that why you got put up for adoption?" Him being adopted was the actual story he wanted to tell. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 119
You deserved it 47 060

Same thing different taste

Comments

Wow, that's not funny. My little sister is adopted and even though we love her, there are many times when she thinks something was wrong with her and that's why she was given up. Jokes like that usually aren't taken well by adoptees. "Not thinking" is not an excuse. You're just an ass.

See, I'm adopted too. And I find this funny as ****. So I guess your mileage may vary on whether or not OP's an ass.

I've never understood why people feel weird when they're adopted. A lot of people are unplanned and a surprise, but if you're adopted you know your parents really wanted you.

I was unplanned, but my parents were married and gainfully employed so they kept me. If their circumstances were different, I bet I would have been put up for adoption because they are both very pro-life. But there would be no shame in that. My value as a human being and individual wouldn't be diminished by my parents' circumstances. We are not defined by the circumstances of our birth.

A lot of adopted people can feel abandoned. They can feel as though there is something wrong with them, that because of that their biological parents did not want them and that is why they were put up for adoption. There are also adopted people who have identity issues (this effects interracial and international adoptees in particular). I just want to emphasise that not all adoptees feel this way and there are those who have no hang ups about being adopted but quite a number of them do.

I think this is more of a ginger joke than adopted joke

God, I cannot stand people like you who think adoption is something to be joked about or used as an insult. You have absolutely no idea the kind of emotional trauma an adopted person can put themselves through asking "Why?" and "What if?" even if they are happy as a result of it. Being adopted was the best damn thing that ever happened to me, and don't you forget it, OP. You disgust me.

Because of people like you, people don't open up easily. Why is it so hard to be a little patient and listen to what they say?

Step 1: Open mouth Step 2: Insert foot Step 3: ??? Step 4: Profit!

Why would he even start the story with that sentence?

PoisonOrchid 21

I was wondering the exact same thing. If he was trying to tell the class he had been adopted, why did he feel the need to start the story by stating he had been a ginger?!

juturnaamo 29

It could be how he found out. Brunette parents wouldn't have a ginger kid.

They could if both parents had a history of red hair in their families.

Actually everyone in fact has the ginger gene in them. So if someone is born ginger that's why.

So this is a FML because you've been found out as a dick?

Why is being adopted funny? It just means that someone spent hours of time and thousands of dollars to add you to their family, as opposed to your parents being stuck with you simply because you fell out of your mother's ******. And it's rude to interrupt people.