By Anonymous - 08/01/2014 00:39 - United States - Salem

Today, a guy I like asked me to a dance. Trying to act modest and at the same time compliment him, I told him, "You could do so much better, though." After thinking for a moment, he replied, "You're right, I could. Never mind," and walked away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 416
You deserved it 60 980

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I think he just mis interpreted your response for a subtle rejection. bummer though.

Comments

Its hard to ask someone to dance. Always worried the person might say no. So when someone asks, go easy on them! Your answer def could have sounded like a 'no' to him.

Well, you sort of screwed yourself over there, OP.

Always accept...and you learned that the hard way...maybe someone else will ask you...if not go anyway and just hope he doesn't have a date...

It's not called being modest. It's called fishing for compliments. I would have walked away too. Next time a guy shows interest just be grateful and stop playing games. He's already showing interest. Don't make him jump through hoops by convincing you that you are worth his time, and you are much better than you think you are.

I know what it's like to not have that much confidence as part of your personality so I get that but sometimes ya gotta fake it until ya make it ya know?

Bunny21 11

pshhh. just own it next time and say yes! he will probably find confidence more attractive!

Sometimes self deprecating humor or comments go over peoples heads. Some do not understand modesty either. As for you, I think that guy does not what he is missing. :)

perdix 29

#32. Self-effacing remarks can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Used wisely, they can really be charming and put others at ease, but used incorrectly, they can reveal a self-loathing that is off-putting.

OP sometimes "yes" is the only answer you need.. dumbass