Still relevant

By FMJoblessL - 04/02/2010 05:02 - United States

Today, I am jobless after graduation. Ironic, since when I started college with my education degree, I was congratulated, told of the teacher shortage in my state, and how quickly I would be able to find a job. Three years in, the economy tanks, and the state issues a teacher hiring freeze. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 680
You deserved it 2 939

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks OP. But yeah, its just the american way to start cutting down expenses on education as soon as possible. (Not trying to be anti-american or anything, its just that my mother and several of her friends had to leave the US to find a job as a teacher for basically this same reason. It wont be the last time that'll happen).

boarder700 0

If the unions were willing to work with the states these things wouldn't be so severe. Cuts need to be made sometimes. The unions refuse cuts so things like hiring freezes are the only things states can do. They can't just print money like the Fed. You should start harassing the local teachers union. Unions suck - especially civil servant unions

Comments

This is why I tell people to get into Medical coding. If you love teaching, you can eventually become a teacher while making a whole hell of a lot more than actual teachers. That or you can become an auditor or a physician liason. Physician liasons actually get to teach the doctors what they need to do. So many options and such great pay.

infantry831 0

you suck! stop being lazy. go get a job in the military

People really do think that it's easy to get a teaching position- and for some jobs, it is. But I'm going to guess that, like me, you did not specialize in math, and were not an adolescent education major, but an elementary education major. Then to add in the fact that many teachers with experience were laid off and now twice as many elementary teachers are fighting for half the jobs... despite what half of these fools are saying, moving to a different state doesn't solve the problem. The jobs are tight everywhere. We're in the same boat- I feel for you, OP.

You aren't one of my classmates are you? By chance? hahaha Hahah I just graduated from WCU in December with an elementary degree and can't find anything either. I'm looking and remaining optimistic. Chin up, you'll find something... hopefully we both will!

edwadokun 0

i honestly have no sympathy because a lot of americans are jobless. yes it sucks but millions have the same story including me.. suck it up

I'm in the same boat over here in California. I have 5 years to get my professional credential, two of which is spent in an induction program. I'm already at almost one year without a teaching job....

if you're a fellow, then that really sucks. sorry about your situation but nowadays all those "recession proof jobs" (including teaching) aren't so recession proof. people are getting screwed over left and right regardless.

you wouldn't even get a job. most teachers start with subbing. go substitute until the hiring freeze is over

hatestennessee 0