Pissed

By assgoblins piss me off - 06/05/2014 20:52 - Canada - Camrose

Today, I turned in my best painting yet for a scholarship competition. For once in my life, I was actually proud of a piece I'd done. I ended up losing the scholarship to some dickface who'd basically just glued together some crap from the dollar store and called it conceptual art. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 206
You deserved it 5 595

Same thing different taste

Top comments

eaglerob 20

Maybe next time finger paint a few stick figures and glue on some macaroni? ;)

Comments

Just because you lost, doesn't mean you get to insult them. Now until we all see your piece and the winning one, I'm going to think you're a sore loser.

Thank you! Finally someone said it. Of course you're going to think yours is better, OP, because you did it. But maybe, just maybe, the other guy's actually WAS better than yours.

braidedsilver 8

My thought as well. Glad I am not the only one who thought it.

cryssycakesx3 22

#26 a few people had already mentioned it.

I agree with #24. Isn't appreciating art an individuals perception? Your work may be brilliant to someone (and yourself) but might go appreciated by someone else who didn't understand it. It's not fair to diss someone just because u couldn't relate to it.

#82 I sort of disagree with this. While enjoying someone's artwork is (very) subjective, as is enjoying pretty much anything, there are fundamentals in art as well (technical stuffs and all) and they're usually visible even in more stylized and abstract works. There is a more objective way to judge paintings too, just like there are objective ways to judge movies and music, which are subjective too. You can usually tell if something is well made even if you have personal reasons to not really like it. Not that I'm qualified to judge art objectively myself. But it's pretty possible.

Hey, focus on being proud of yourself. Your time is gonna come, just work hard and keep doing your best. If it doesn't get you anywhere, start calling garbage conceptual art :D

The judges way of seeing art is different than yours. You can't make fun of someone's work just because they won! "Some crap from the dollar store" Of course he's gonna buy stuff if he needs them for his work? Its not like you didn't buy the colors that you painted with. Anyways, better luck next time OP!

Axel5238 29

I remember I was in an art museum and saw a picture that was no more than a squiggle with a loop and a line. Sold for $500 framed, $200 without it. It looked like it was done by a child, sure enough it was. Lots of professional art critics are just fantastic at bullshitting, but know nothing about drawing or painting.

cryssycakesx3 22

at my museum, there was a bedframe and a chair with shirts and socks strewn over the corners. there was also a tangled mess of Christmas lights and garland andlan extension cords and other various things that looked like it was pulled out of grandpa's garage. "art"…

No, art is not ALL about image and marketing. First of all, it's about talent. Next, it's about skill -- you don't learn ideas in art school, but you do learn how to hold a brush in various ways to get the effect you want. Then, and only after you have talent and skill, is it all about image and marketing. And learning how to write grant proposals. Source: my sister, a well-known artist in her city and an art teacher.

Lately, some of the art I've seen is terrible. it's literally splatters of paint, or squiggles that I could do myself. I'd love to say that art is always about talent and skill, but that's not really the case anymore. It's about networking, and about how well you can sell your brand. Is talent involved? Sometimes, but it seems that you can splatter paint on a canvas, call it conceptual or abstract, and sit back and watch people clamor to be the first one to buy a piece from the hottest new artist. I've witnessed my mother do this countless times. It's more about making sure that YOU'RE popular so that your art is popular, than actually having real talent. Who knows? Maybe I'm just jaded.

cryssycakesx3 22

talent and skill aren't the same? usually, and most importantly, it's about how it makes the viewer feel.

Art isn't purely talent, or skill, or who you know, it's a mixture of all of these things and more. As much as I think a picture in the National Gallery of Victoria looks like crap, it's hanging there for a reason, just like all the rest. There is a thought process behind each piece which contributes to the value attached to it, as well as the ability of the artist. And then, of course, is the opinion of those judging it. I hate to state the obvious, but not everyone likes the same thing.

You are not heavily into politics, are you OP?

I know how you feel sometimes. I'm a cartoonist who taught myself to draw from a young age and make up my own characters and write my own stories but find can't a real job, and when I see some of the stupid new cartoons that are on TV twenty times a day on one station...

you can't blame the other " artist ", this is the judging process that failed.

Hey, you worked hard! That's gotta count! Maybe you can try another competition?

Yeah, all I can see here is a sore loser. Art is subjective, and you're biased. Tiny violin for you.