Harsh

By mugs - 12/03/2009 19:49 - United States

Today, I asked my parents if the outfit I was wearing made me look fat. My mom looked at me and paused for a while; my dad said, "Honey, that outfit doesn't make you look fat. Your fat makes you look fat." FML
I agree, your life sucks 69 673
You deserved it 23 993

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kagome_eb 0

hahaha am sorry he is right, don't ask people questions unless you want to hear the true.

Comments

I find it unfortunate when cool parents have kids who are far less awesome (or fatter) than them.

Sounds fakeish to me... but if it's true, your dad is funny in a douchey way.

#14: who chooses to be overweight? This girl lives in her parent's house so she's anywhere from 13-23. If she's that young and overweight, then it's likely the case that she's been overweight from a young age where she didn't make the choices on what she was eating and probably didn't have the information that certain foods are bad in certain quantities. Why is it that all the FMLs here dealing with a 13-15 year old having sex the commentators blame the parents, but when a child becomes obese, it's the child's choices that are to blame? Yeah, she's overweight now, but it's the bad information that was force fed to her along with the meals that's to blame. Society doesn't frown on bad food as it does on cigarettes. Smokers are frowned upon in this society but so are the cigarettes and the companies that sell them. This isn't the case with overweight people. Society just hates the overweight, but doesn't want to do anything about the causes - the fast food and the companies that provide them. Any attempt to regulate them so they don't make such unhealthy food (such as the bans on trans fat) becomes some libertarian issue of government trying to limit our food choices and destroy businesses.

xolotl 0

i've heard that in a movie or on a sitcom or something before. i'm not saying this is a fake fml, but at the very least the OP's dad isn't original.

#26, force fed? Get real. At a certain point you need to own up to it, if her parents think she's fat, they probably didn't "make" her that way. Society trashes healthy people for being "too skinny" too...when that's the normal way. And what's society going to do about fast food chains? Don't go...seems pretty simple to me.

@26 Because its never the fat person's fault right. Sigh, overweight people always blames it on something else.

geem_fml 0

and dumb people always "blames" it on not reading gooder.

@ #26 In my opinion, it isn't fair to place the blame squarely on fast food chains' shoulders. People (read: young AND old) need to learn how to make healthy choices for themselves. A person could be vegan, avoid processed foods/fast food and still have a terrible diet. So yeah, banning items that have been proven to have negative effects on a person's health may help but people still need to learn about proper portions, their metabolisms, vitamins/the importance of vitamins/what foods are a good source of them, etc. With the right diet, vitamin supplements aren't even necessary. So basically what I'm saying is that simply cutting items probably wouldn't do much; education and awareness are huge factors as well.

I mean if you're fat, then you're fat. There is nothing wrong with being fat and if you're not happy about it, it is one thing that you can change about your body unless you have some sort of medical condition, which I doubt since it's usually affect people with mental problems or other problems, and if you can type, you can lose the fat.

Yes, there is a problem with being overweight. It can ruin a child's self-esteem, as well as raise the risk of obesity in later years. This, in turn, will set the child up for a number of health problems throughout their life. It is not okay to say "if you love and accept your being overweight, then it's fine". There are a number if reasons why so many people work hard to control their weight, apart from the desire to stay slim.