Don't do this

By Malcolm654 - 29/09/2016 03:20 - United States - Huntington Beach

Today, I was going to propose to my girlfriend of 4 years in front of the sell-out crowd at the baseball game, but at the security checkpoint, the security guard made me take the ring out and open it after I walked through the metal detector. No need to say it, worst proposal ever. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 978
You deserved it 1 888

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I know it's not how you planned But after a while you guys can laugh about it Unless she said no Then sorry op

kaitlyn520 13

I'm so sorry OP:( however if it were me getting proposed to, I would just be so enthralled and happy that the person I love would go through this effort just to be with me. I'm sure that you significant other is going to be happy, and you two will have pretty babies<3

Comments

I call BS. Unless you got a cheap ring. Any ring over 10k (gold silver platinum) won't go off in a normal metal detector like at airports and baseball games.

Judgey much? Maybe it went off for another reason, a belt... and he was made to empty his pockets? For what purpose would someone make that up? I think you just wanted to show off your periodic table knowledge. Narf.

You have to look at it from a real world view point. Anybody and their mother knows what a ring box looks like so why would a guard make him take it completely out, open it up, and walk through the metal detector? The box isn't big enough for anything dangerous. Nobody would purposely ruin something like this.

And if OP did get a cheap ring; who ******* cares? Maybe that's all they can afford right now. Or maybe they didn't want to spend as much on the engagement ring so they would have more money for an expensive wedding ring. Quit being a judgmental asshole and get off your high-horse #12.

Nah mate, I think you're just looking for holes in a story that don't exist.

I agree #15, 10K is a lot to expect someone to spend on a piece of jewelry!! I just don't value material possessions that much, a simple ring and putting the money towards a kickass honeymoon adventure would make me happy!

I hate these fmls that talk about proposals, and then DONT TELL US IF THEY SAID YES!!!!!! Seriously, details people...

I think if she had said no, it's safe to assume this FML would be very different.

Weak, man. Afraid she was gonna say no? Well, she wouldn't in front of that crowd, she'd get booed. Not the "romantic" gesture you thought you were making, just 10,000 cases of peer pressure. If you want to get married, try thinking about someone other than yourself first.

Most couples discuss engagement and marriage before the proposal. So there's a good chance he already knew how she felt and that she would say yes.

And some people/couples like being the center of attention. I am picturing they're an outgoing couple, who are both into baseball. And usually when you are going to ask someone to marry you, you already know they are going to say yes.

as long as she said yes I think you're good... u can always do it again... now THAT would be unexpected

I have asked my fiance a few times if we would marry me. every time she has said yes. :)

At least you didn't drop it at the Yankees game and have 20 people searching for it!!

I find proposing in front of a large crowd obnoxious. The proposee is pressured into saying yes or risk becoming hated by the masses.

PrimeStarscream 30

YDI because public proposals aren't romantic unless your girl is into that. Unexpected public proposals put pressure on her to say yes so she won't look like a huge bitch. Better to do it in private or discuss marriage instead of springing it on her.

How do you know they haven't spoken about it previously? And public proposals can be cute. Maybe that's what she wanted. Don't be so judgy unless you know the full story

PrimeStarscream 30

Because they make it obvious by saying they had to take out the ring, which suggests he and his girlfriend didn't discuss anything beforehand.

only if she said no - but still disappointing :/

Sorry your plans for messed up, op, but NEVER propose in front of a crowd unless you have discussed the answer ahead of time. Puts your target in a very uncomfortable position, esp if she doesn't want to say yes.