Designated driver

By Anonymous - 19/03/2023 12:00

Today, my wife got me a car for my birthday. It's a nice one but I soon realized it's a trap: I have to take her everywhere, or she tells me she can take it back anytime. So much for a gift. FML
I agree, your life sucks 903
You deserved it 177

Same thing different taste

Top comments

A gift with strings attached is not really a gift at all, is it? Let her take it back and drive herself.

seems like a toxic kind of relationship which you should very carefully evaluate.

Comments

A gift with strings attached is not really a gift at all, is it? Let her take it back and drive herself.

Sounds more like she got a chauffeur for herself than a birthday present for you.

seems like a toxic kind of relationship which you should very carefully evaluate.

Whose name is on the title? If it's hers or both of you are on the title, give her the keys and tell the wife to take her NOT-a-Gift back. If it's yours, restrict the driving and tell her you can do what you like with your car, and if she damages or takes it, the cops are a phone call away and she deserves what she gets.

Are you a husband or a chauffeur? If you can't even afford an older beater of a car and she can buy a nice one, why are you two even together?

She's blackmailing you. Have some balls and either stand up or tell her to take it back

Some years ago, I bought my wife a car. Recently she bought me a car when my old one died. I told her from the beginning how much I appreciated it but that I could never pay her back. I figured we’re even. Both our names are on the title… We don’t have a problem. If she wants to go somewhere I want to go, I don’t mind driving because ultimately I’m in control of exactly where we go. If she wants to go somewhere and I don’t, she takes her own car… A gift is not a gift if there are too many strings attached. You should have sorted all that out sooner. Eventually you are going to have to sort this situation out in a manner that’s fair to both of you.

easybree 9

get her to take it back and get yourself your own car…