Recruitment hell

By Carlyclose - 16/06/2017 00:00

Today, I got rejected from Sephora, Walgreens, and Ulta for being OVER-qualified with a post-graduate diploma in cosmetic chemistry. Then, I got rejected from Estée Lauder, LVMH, and Proctor and Gamble for being UNDER-qualified with a post-graduate diploma in cosmetic chemistry. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 371
You deserved it 384

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Next interview, being a koala. When they say something about being qualified, say "oh, I'm koalafied." Ok. I know that was dumb...

Apparently the schools you obtained your degrees from aren't fashionable.

Comments

Apparently the schools you obtained your degrees from aren't fashionable.

Next interview, being a koala. When they say something about being qualified, say "oh, I'm koalafied." Ok. I know that was dumb...

You should have omitted your post-graduate degree on your retail applications. They'll think you're just using them to carry on renegade research experiments.

My advice would have been to your your resume for different positions. While it seems that having magnificent qualifications would be a GOOD THING, often it is not. I hope your perfect position with an organization that will appreciate your dedication and knowledge is out there waiting for you. Try networking?

I feel your pain. ON the hunt for a job myself. Ridiculous.

pupdog 1

I feel like there's more to this. I work in cosmetics in a big department store and multiple girls work here at Estee Lauder, Clinique, Lancome, whatevs with no degrees or barely any retail/makeup experience. So it may be the way you interview or something. I personally know a couple of the Account Executives who just want to hire hardworking people, degree or not. Good luck tho.

I feel the same, like they are using the qualifications as an excuse for poor interviews skills or something. It's much nicer to say, "we are so sorry, you're over/under qualified" than, "mate, you're really frickking weird". Perhaps the OP should approach each job with a bespoke resume and cover letter for that particular job (which is what they recommend anyway) and leave post grad out of retail work

There is a difference between the qualifications for selling makeup (basically just requires a pulse) and the qualifications for chemically making makeup. With that degree OP should be going after jobs for manufacturing it, you and your friends (the ones with no degrees or experience) work at the retail side of it.

Hopefully you were applying at some corporate lever to work at those company's manufacturing plants with that sort of degree. Otherwise if you got a post grad to work at a retail makeup store at the mall you kinda deserve it.

heartsofhavoc 6

I have a masters degree and have applied to over 21positions in the past month. I was almost happy to receive a rejection letter yesterday instead of radio silence. I deeply feel your pain.

SaltyAsFuck 3

Johnson & Johnson and Perrigo... are two names I know.