Denied

By Anonymous - 27/10/2019 00:01 - United States - Austin

Today, an Air Force recruiter called me. I've been wanting to join the Air Force for 5 years now. After chatting on the phone with him for 10 minutes, I mentioned to him that I had asthma. He quickly told me I can't join any of the military branches, and to have a good day. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 812
You deserved it 462

Same thing different taste

Top comments

EmDizzle2007 28

I feel like you should've seen that coming

...and when he is faced with high stress and intense physical exercise, with no way to hide an inhaler when they go through his personal stuff to lock up anything and everything that will detract from his training... ...that is when he will get acquainted with the number 39-10 (Entry-Level Separation - Incapable of service due to pre-existing medical issues)...and then sent right home.

Comments

It's only automatic if you were diagnosed after age 13. Both me and my brother have asthma and he currently serves in the Navy and I am about to go into the Army

I never knew the age thing. I wasn’t diagnosed until 14, it’s exercise induced. Makes sense that they wouldn’t want me.

it's like glasses to be an Air Force pilot. it used to be an automatic deferment, but they changed requirements to achieve recruitment goals

I was diagnosed at around 17 and got into the Army just fine. Are you sure it isn’t a case by case basis?

Fair point. It could be, but requirements have become lax to increase enlistment and meet quotas

Just go to a defferent recruiter and make sure ya take ur meds before exercise and it'll be fine

...and when he is faced with high stress and intense physical exercise, with no way to hide an inhaler when they go through his personal stuff to lock up anything and everything that will detract from his training... ...that is when he will get acquainted with the number 39-10 (Entry-Level Separation - Incapable of service due to pre-existing medical issues)...and then sent right home.

And when he is out in the field and the supply chain isn't working, what does he do when he can't get an inhaler? It's a liability for the military that they don't want and have enough choice to not take on. It sucks for OP, but it's a perfectly sensible choice on the military's part. Also, OP would get caught as soon as he got a check-up.

EmDizzle2007 28

I feel like you should've seen that coming

EmDizzle2007 28

people who have learned to cope with their medical conditions seem to forget how cumbersome they would be in a dire situation.

I don’t see why this would be an issue if you can complete boot camp/training. I would see if you can talk to someone about this asthma is pretty common. It might limit what you can do, but that should stop you from being able to serve your country.

imagine if they have an attack during combat, or at all while operating any duty.

It’s because asthma is an unpredictable thing and during deployments he could end up not having an inhaler or having an attack during combat and people end up getting hurt. It’s rough to hear but the military is not an equal opportunity employer.

Phil 14

If you want to serve our country, there are plenty of other options other than military service. You could work for the Federal government, and be a civilian employee of the Air Force, for example.

Sorry man - I got a college ROTC scholarship for the AF before medical PDQed me. It turned out alright. I can give back to our country in other ways.

That sucks OP, I’m sorry. That’s the same reason I couldn’t join the army, I have asthma and used an inhaler offer the age of 13.

The Civil Air Patrol will let you join, even with asthma. I know it’s not military service, but it is still a service to the country.