MLM FML

By Maddi - 04/05/2016 02:55 - United States - Houston

Today, I went on a coffee date with a man I met online. His "friend" had tagged along. We were having a good conversation, until the friend pulls out his laptop and says, "So let me tell you a little bit about our travel business," and talked about a pyramid scheme for an hour. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 914
You deserved it 1 373

Same thing different taste

Top comments

TeacherTeacher 11

Why didn't you get up and leave? You don't have to be polite to rude people.

"Let me tell you a little about the Glock model 19." *audible click under the table*

Comments

That sucks OP, online dating can be quite mysterious at times.

TeacherTeacher 11

Why didn't you get up and leave? You don't have to be polite to rude people.

Maybe OP just really, really liked her date?

maddisoleil 7

He was really cute lmao. I really couldn't be impolite even though I felt used the entire time. He didn't even buy my coffee!

"Let me tell you a little about the Glock model 19." *audible click under the table*

unless he's selling a pyramid, you're good to go.

So, it's cool if he's selling a building?

I don't know about you, but I'd find it pretty cool if he was selling an actual pyramid.

"It's not a pyramid, it's an upside-down funnel!" -It's Always Sunny

He probably went along with it, the friend said "OUR travel business".

maddisoleil 7

The "friend" was actually the guy's mentor for the business; my date had only considered it a sales pitch. When I politely told him how much I didn't appreciate it, he said "gotta do what you gotta do"

Yeah, that happened to me once with a former coworker who I thought wanted to meet up for job search advice. I only humored her because she was an exceptional employee when we worked together (I was her manager for a while), but I couldn't believe that someone that sharp had gotten sucked into such unmitigated advantage-taking bullshit.

Step 1 : Show up. Step 2 : ???. Step 3 : Profit.

I probably would have said no to the date when I saw that the friend tagged along, and scheduled it for another time. From what I've seen, a friend accompanying on a date rarely turns out well. It's a date, a third person is unnecessary, and if you're just getting to know each other, dates can be awkward enough without a third person there. A third person just makes it more uncomfortable because it disrupts the balance, it's no longer 1 on 1. You're getting to know each other, that comes first, meeting friends can be scheduled for later, when it isn't a date.

maddisoleil 7

It was because they had "somewhere to be right after," and I didn't mind because it made me less nervous; it was just a coffee date. But turns out he was just the pretty face and the "friend" was the boss. xD

bad_boyfriend 10

I know a guy this happened to. He thought he was having a good date, then she started giving him the bootleg amway speech. He stayed for the whole thing, I still have no idea why. The best part was he bought her coffee so he basically paid for the sales pitch.

If you're a guy, you know *exactly* why he stayed until the end.