Cough up

By Anonymous - 08/11/2010 10:47 - United States

Today, my friend bought a smartphone and updated his Facebook status with it. Two weeks ago he signed an apartment lease with another friend. Four months ago he bought a new handgun. Seven months ago he bought a new TV. He's owed me $300 for a year and a half. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 436
You deserved it 8 717

Same thing different taste

Top comments

airball33 0

That's why you don't loan money to friends

Comments

sallen0046 4

Has your "friend" perhaps forgotten about the loan? Or is it one of those situations where you never bother to clearly state you're only loaning them money and they think it's a gift? Either way, it's completely your fault if you haven't mentioned it by now. If you have mentioned it, it's still your fault for not taking legal action against this person, or at the very least, severed the friendship. What other people purchase is absolutely none of your business. It's reasons exactly like this that you never loan anyone money or let them borrow items your attached to without a signed contract. It takes less than five minutes to scratch one out on a piece of paper, and when things go badly, the mere threat of a lawsuit is enough to make most people pay up in a hurry.

Trebie 6

Except it totally is OP's business. See, $300 may not exactly be enough to retire on, but it IS enough to help with bills, groceries, gas, clothes, rent, and many other things the OP might be depending on that money for. This guy buying expensive things for himself when he owes that much to someone is douchey at best. Also, from the way the FML was worded, I'm under the impression that the borrower not only buys these things, but then brags and shows them off. OP, if I were you, I'd just casually bring it up to him next time you guys meet. Just ask if he remembers when he borrowe3d the money and then remind him he never paid off, but do it in a manner that isn't accusatory, just in case he simply forgot. If it looks like things will just escalate into a fight, drop it, and you'll know to never lend him money again, if you even choose to remain his friend at all.

I think what ur trying to say is that your friendship is important to you so how about if you steal his handgun and get it to me I'll give you 250 for it nothing more ps what is it and you can still be friends

Hey OP, can I borrow $50? I'm good for it.

well either ask him about the money or drop it. if you don't desperately need it, just let it go and maybe stop being friends with him. life sucks but what can you do?

you're the dummy who won't collect debt...

And that is why I don't lend money to people. I've learned I don't get it back.

should have harassed them more before they bought the gun.

YDI for borrowing your friend money, my roommate owes me over $500 but somehow still has money for for lmda around the clock. life could be worse.

MDMA* -not ldma hah I'm not "in the know" of the latest drug terms.

Your roommate is a drug addict.. for you, it's already worse. When you get up one day and your tv and computer are gone you know it's time to find a new roommate.

I had a 'friend' do the same thing. took him 1 whole year to pAy me back $300. got it back in such small amounts at the time it barely came in handy for me. what's $10? really. I wouldve preferred it in $50 lots at least. pissed me right off for a long time but I guess in the end I did get it back...after I watched this person blow through a good $4000 they had just received. couldve had my money in one go but apparently shopping sprees were more important.