We got a reader!

By Anonymous - 28/09/2012 05:18 - United States - Hobbs

Today, my new boyfriend came over to my apartment for the first time. Up until now I thought he was great, but when he spotted the book I'm currently reading next to my couch, he uttered the immortal question, "Why do you read?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 672
You deserved it 3 784

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don't think I would be able to be with someone who could utter that question in a serious manner.

joep1 7

I feel you OP. I love reading, to me they're better than movies because you feel like your right there and you can let your imagination run wild. It's a shame some people don't see reading the way we do.

Comments

Now'a your chance, OP... Convert your boyfriend to the side of books! Start off easy--show him maybe your favorite series or something he'll recognize. Then slowly... He will become one of us... *evil cackle*

bRower 3

Harry Potter is an excellent starting point.

ArielTheMermaid 17
icychil 13

You should have answered - oh, for how to recognize morons...

Sadly, some people will just never get it. My old housemate hated video games and books, and considered people who enjoyed them to be "no lifers". The kicker is that she had never played any games or read books in her life, and would often give me disgusted looks when I'd ask if she wanted to play with me or borrow a book I though she'd enjoy. I don't know...some people are just strange. They're so afraid to enjoy something that might be seen as "uncool" that they go out of their way to hate on the people who DO enjoy such things.

12ThreeFour56 1

It annoys me when morons say stupid shit like "reading is for nerds" Uggh *facepalm*

conholio33 28

I love to read you can get lost in a good book.... Sorry ur bf doesnt feel the same way OP

I hate it when people ask that question and look at you like some kind of alien because you enjoy reading.

I found this especially amusing since your avatar is an alien. Haha.

Epikouros 31

Maybe he's a literary studies major, studying reading motivation in young female adults?

How can he be so ignorant? Reading stimulates the brain cells, streghtens vision and gives you knowledge. Give him a book or two to read, maybe if he seriously tries it, he'll like it. But other than that, FYL Op, I could never be with someone who uttered that kind of question in my household or anywhere.

Strengthens vision? I don't have anything against books but I'm pretty sure if anything they worsen vision. They strain your eyes unless you have great lighting...and as a lot of people prefer mellow lighting to in-your-face bright lights and/or read before bed, it happens a lot...

How dare you pick up a book and read?! You're an animal and you must stop at once! :-

Yes, it was a joke. No, it didn't make sense. No, it wasn't funny. Sorry.

#48 **** you. No, that wasn't a joke. No, it's not funny. No, I'm not sorry. Get it?

You never heard 'like an animal' mean out of control or unstoppable? Well, now you know.