By onyx_the_cat - 14/02/2014 03:49 - United States - Zion

Today, I aced my solo during my band concert. My parents were asleep the whole time. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 855
You deserved it 4 442

onyx_the_cat tells us more.

The situation is more moral grey than I can describe. My mom has back problems and they get worse during winter, so she was in a lot of pain. She was in so much pain, she couldn't even get up and she stayed home to sleep while I was at my concert. I was a little disappointed, but I knew the situation. My dad on the other hand slept through my solo while at the concert. That man can sleep through anything. My mom once said when they were at a club he slept in front of the speakers. Unfortunately, my dad had to get to work at 5 AM and was really tired when he got home. I didn't know that when I wrote the FML though. He was honest about it though, but I wish he would of tried harder. My parents felt really awful, especially since they always been so supportive of me. Also, I'm a bit selfish because even after my dad said he worked early I was still sad about it. We all talked about it and everything is good now. They admit what they did was wrong despite some of the things being out of their control. My parents are caring people. They wouldn't just go to sleep during a concert without a reason (well kind of with my dad who can sleep anywhere). I would say it was an FML for both me and my parents because they really wanted to hear my solo.

Top comments

Harsh, 53. OP said he understands. Just cus you understand, doesn't mean you're not sad about it anyway.

they got so excited that they fainted. completely normal reaction. kudos for garnering such an extreme reaction. they must be so proud

Comments

It's not your fault. They were just really tired.

arandomusernameaa 20

Then they should have gone to bed before the concert... There isn't much of an excuse.

I'm confused as to how you can fall asleep during a concert. All the one's I've been to have been pretty loud

tbf I fell asleep once at a concert, but I did work a night shift before it

I'm going to assume it was like an orchestra type band concert with a school, in which case the music can get boring if it doesn't interest you. My dad falls asleep at every concert.

It sucks, but it happens. No one deliberately falls asleep on occasions like these, because why even show up, then? I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they must have fallen victim to sleep deprivation and soothing music.

I feel bad for you OP but at least your parents went to your concert, and you bossed your solo for everyone else to hear.

That's awful, OP. I hope it was all recorded as my band concerts often were. My solos on the oboe were usually messed up due to nerves so be happy nonetheless you nailed it!

I play the oboe too. Always nice to meet a fellow oboist!

Rainhawk94 27

I have the same problem and I too am a oboist lol

I would love to meet someone on fml who plays clarinet. :P

I play clarinet during marching band season

I play clarinet for my school's honors band. :3 second chair as a freshman btw.

Yeah you should've played it right in their ears after you finished.

Because doing stuff like that to parents always goes over super well

they got so excited that they fainted. completely normal reaction. kudos for garnering such an extreme reaction. they must be so proud

Or, assuming it was part of a larger performance and not just a singular thing of just OP doing a solo, everyone else was so boring the parents fell asleep, and were nigh-comatose when OP played. It could the only reason they survived.

Maybe you were so great and your notes were so mellow and smooth, that they couldn't help but be lulled to sleep by your godlike skills.

They were just too focused on listening to your music!

They really lost themselves in your music.

cutiepie99 17

Look on the bright side even if they were awake and you hadn't done so well they have not likely seen you practice it to protection 1,000 times so they are already proud!!!! Congratulations by the way it takes a lot to go up on stage in front of others and do so well.

in this world there r two types of people-one who like music and one who don't....they probably belong to the latter....so don't let that affect u :)

There are also those who use grammar and those who discard it and go their own way.

Well if you aced it and everybody else heard it that's good. Does your school film concerts because if they do you could probably get a CD for them.