Undervalued

By Franco - 10/04/2009 14:07 - United States

Today, I was sent to an elementary school for safety day. One of the dads was asking about my job, when I told him about the long hours and high stress involved. He turned to his son and said, "Now see why you stay in school?" I'm a paramedic. With a bachelor's degree. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 044
You deserved it 3 145

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks man. I always wanted to be a Paramedic when I was a kid. I think you guys do great work. **** this ignorant guy.

balanceMMX 0

not really a FML... it just wasn't explained enough for the dad to know what you were talking about. we're all thankful for your hard work as a paramedic, though- thank you

Comments

Paramedic too, and the education I got felt like the longest years of my life. Ignore that ignorant son of a bitch, and if you ever get a call to his house, just smile and say "Hang on, while I call in someone more qualified for your issue." What an asshole.

lobstar 0

So far as 22 goes - "I love, love, love turning to my son after a retail-bitch tries to whine about his/her job and saying, "that's why you go to college". It's funny when they get all offended and claim they did. Obviously, it did them no good - why else would they be working there" Sometimes people realize they chose the wrong major when they're too far down the path to turn back. By the 3rd year into your degree you can either change your mind and start over (often too expensive to do so), drop out and waste all those years of tuition, or just suck it up and finish and hope for the best. I have a degree in biology and zoology and it was only after graduation that I realized the choices were limited. Most job openings are for lab tech (which I hate), but without 3 years experience in a real lab I can't get hired anyway. I wanted to work with animals, but with no formal zoo experience the best I can get now is shoveling poop in the lion cages for minimum wage. Face it, the economy now is terrible and there are few openings for fresh out of college grads with only classroom level experience. For now I'm looking into jobs at grocery stores until I can find a decent opening in a bio related field.

any job has its own stresses and stuff nomatter how long u go to college so yea that guy is stupid

major_carter 1

I'm an EMT-B. I'm currently a junior in college and took my EMT course during my senior year in high school. This guy would shit himself if he had to deal with some or our section 12s... or being exposed to TB or meningitis .... or a MVA with a patient DOA.... or the screaming little old ladies with dementia. Forget about him. We do what we do for the love of it (although I wouldn't mind better pay. For what we get exposed to it ought to be higher).

I think you took this the wrong way. I think he meant "If you stay in school, you can have a good job like this."

FreedomFirst 0

I hate people who think everything they do should be easy. I have a brother who is an EMT; those hours are ridiculous. I could never do it. I need my sleep.

Ibeapirate 0

Yeah, because everyone with a degree winds up in a cushy job with high pay and reasonable hours. That's why so many English majors with Bachelor's degrees work at Starbucks. The dad's an idiot. He probably didn't finish school himself. Congratulations on having a job that helps so many in so many ways.

the dad was obviously just pointing out that if the kid stays in school he can grow up to be a great addition to society such as yourself