Traditional

By Vinny1017 - 07/10/2010 14:26 - United States

Today, I asked my girlfriend's father if I could marry his daughter. He smiled, shook my hand, and said "No. Now get out of my house." FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 408
You deserved it 4 845

Same thing different taste

Top comments

At which point you turn around, say "Thankyou for your advice...." and you marry her anyway.

Propose in spite of him. In front of him would be better. When she hugs you out of sheer joy, make the devil horns and wiggle your tongue at her dad.

Comments

You should have punched him in the face with the face!

Hmm, a reply despite my comment being deleted. No, that wasn't a joke. Asking the father for permission to marry his daughter is disrespectful of her independence. It's treating her like property, which is the whole reason that terrible tradition exists in the first place. Back in the day, it was the same as asking him if you could buy some chickens. Now that we've realized that women are people, not things, the only people who matter in this decision are the two partners entering into an engagement.

Babushka_Homyak 10

@35, I would honestly be insulted and enraged if a guy asked my father permission to marry me, as he has absolutely nothing to do with such a decision. It will always be my decision to get married, whether my father (or anyone else) approves or not. As long as the guy isn't a complete douchebag, then it isn't anyone else's business. Fail OP, for not going to your girlfriend in the first place.

joa76 3

It sounds like he was joking, to me. If he'd been serious, would he really have smiled and shook your hand?

Heh, don't bet on it. Considering how he felt about some of his daughters' boyfriends, I could easily picture my dad reacting the same way and meaning every word, if the wrong guy asked. Except my dad would probably chuckle while he said it.

xxxviii 5

BWahahahahaha OMG Thats awesome!!!! Hi 5 Dad!!!! hahahahaha,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wiping tears,,, hahaha From one father to another,,,, Classic!! LMAO Dad just took a poke at the kid who is poking his daughter....hahaha Sweet!!

20waffleater10 0

YOU SUCK AS A DAD...JUST SAYIN

monkee7798 0

I moderated this:D Yay:D Wow, Ydi, atleast he didn't cuss you out Then tell you to never speak to her again. Just ask her to marry you, he's a bitch! :) Thank youu:D

birds_fml 7

YDI for thinking that a woman needs her father's permission to get married. It's a stupid, outdated tradition that needs to die.

I agree, in fact back when my husband and I were talking about getting married one day I told him not to ask for permission at all or even discuss it with anyone else before asking me to marry him. He didn't ask for permission but he did tell practically everyone he was going to ask me to marry him..even showed my family and his the ring..and guess what happened? I found out before he asked me. I even found out when he planned to do it. I should have told him that but I didnt. Never the less it completely ruined the surprise, you aren't supposed to be expecting it! I feel like I got ripped off in that department =/ Still it's the thought that counts so I was still happy when he finally did ask, but asking for the father's permission could easily end up the same way..the girl finding out.

shadowpunk, I believe 59's point wasn't so much about ruining the surprise of the proposal as the fact that the tradition itself is woefully outdated. for that matter, I'd say that the "surprise" is outdated, too--in this day and age, marriage should be planned and discussed between the couple well before it happens.