By random - 23/10/2013 22:41 - United States - Amarillo

Today, while working as a paramedic, we got called to an assisted living home. The medical emergency? The woman had a leak in her bathroom and wanted it fixed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 163
You deserved it 2 604

Same thing different taste

Top comments

What the hell was she thinking when she called you? Can someone be that dumb?

tehdarkness 21

I can't wait till I'm old and I can perform hijinks and pass them off as insanity!

Comments

This is an abusive use of an emergency system. Stuff like this should punishable as a crime.

It is but most EMS workers won't report it sadly so it continues to happen

Where do us ems workers report it? Everyone knows the system is abused. Report it to who? For what reason? Its not going to change anything.

Assisted homes usually feature people who care for themselves with some help keeping meds straight and meals provided without needing to cook/grocery shop. People with significant dementia or other illness are usually in nursing homes with provide round the clock medical care/assistance.

I think a maintenance would have been a better call...I take it this was a emergency cord pull...

Apparently you need to learn your english ;)

I really wish people who waste the ambulance service's time could be fined the way those who waste police time are. Every time someone makes a stupid or hoax call, someone else could be dying. I'd love to know how that call got through to getting an ambulance though.

Depending on the nature of the call and where it's at, they can. Do it too many times and they get thrown in jail. More than that and they're no longer allowed to call. Look up Lori Ann Warner.

They can call and say that there's something wrong medically and then when EMS gets there, SURPRISE! That happened to my boyfriend a few times when he worked EMS. The best one was the guy that called in with some sort of knee problem and when they got there the guy wanted them to make him a sandwich and had no medical problem at all. I wish I was joking. ><

And the dispatcher didn't think to ask what the woman's problem was?

RedPillSucks 31

The dispatcher can't ignore a call to 911

RedPillSucks 31

The dispatcher can't ignore a call to 911

JMichael 25

Haha that's when you sit back and say under your breath "I love my job, I love my job, I love my job."

christiangrey 4

Did you fix it for her at least????

perdix 29

Hey, old folks pay a lot to live in "assisted living!" Why shouldn't they feel entitled to having their assistance to come to them with flashing lights and blaring sirens? I hope she tipped you nicely. She could have fallen and not been able to get up!