By Anonymous - 10/12/2015 05:29 - Australia - Perth

Today, while working as a barista, a customer asked me for "gluten free milk". When I told her that most milk is gluten free, she flew into a fit of rage and cussed me out for being a "cheeky bitch". My manager then lectured me about not being "patronising" to customers. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 659
You deserved it 2 709

Same thing different taste

Top comments

homesuckfucker 28

Next time someone makes a request like that, just tell 'em you'll give them what they asked for. Saves you the trouble of getting harassed for doing nothing wrong.

Wow. Someone is really taking the gluten free fad diet to an extreme. Or is lactose intolerant and doesn't realise what that actually means...

Comments

Should've given her chocolate milk. Sounds like she needs it

this crap has to stop. unless ur alergic to gluton u shouldn't be worrying about it

yenze 18

Gluton allergies are actually very rare only 1% of americans have them. As a chef it annoys me when people come into my restaurant asking for gulton free and claiming to be allergic. Although what i serve may be gulton free it is prepared on and cook in things that are not. If they are allergic like they say they are they wouldn't eat at a non gluton free restaurant.

askullnamedbilly 33

The fact that a chef consistently misspelled 'gluten' to resemble 'glutton' is strangely hilarious to me.

@18 well no, the allergy may not be that severe. It may only affect them if it's ingested. Plus, while the allergy is uncommon, people with certain medications or other disorders such as autoimmune can develop gluten sensitivity.

A reaction to gluten isn't always immediate so they could feel very ill in a few hours if you cook their food on surfaces/with equipment with traces of gluten on.

yea seeing all this gluton free shit frustrates me. half of them don't even get it

mds9986 24

18, 1% would actually be a pretty substantial number. I'm pretty sure it's much lower than that. At any rate, you're correct. People need to stop thinking these fad diets are helping them.

As an intelligent person, it really annoys me that people tote their 'qualifications' to be condescending and then spell the main topic of the condescension wrong multiple times...as a chef, how do you not know how to spell gluten? Also, there is a difference between allergic and sensitivity/intolerance. Milk allergies are very rare, but intolerance is not. Allergies to gluten is rare, but sensitivity is not.

yenze 18

@26 i was spelling it how the comment above me spelled it i know math and cooking not spelling lol what i was trying to say is most people who claim to have gluten allergies don't really have the allergy they are just doing the new gluten free phase weird how 20 years ago no one was allergic to it and i doubt that they get ill later because i have a lot of return customers

@57 In 1980 no one had AIDS...except that they did, they just didn't know what it was...

Gluten allergies aren't even that rare, but Celiac disease is fairly common. They can only ingest very small amounts of gluten, in severe cases, none at all, so as a chef you really should be more careful and considerate towards your customers.

countryb_cth 38

I always feel so bad for my cousin since she actually is allergic to gluten. She hates this whole gluten-free fad because now people don't take her seriously or make comments. Which isn't good because if she even has a little bit of gluten she gets extremely sick. It pisses me off when people say they're allergic when they aren't because not only is it a bitch for the restaurant staff but it then causes problems for people who really are allergic.

rldostie 19

I'm tired of people making fun of people who prefer to stay away from gluten. Can't people just live? Why does everyone have to insult someone else's personal health choices? For me, gluten causes inflammation in the joints. Actually--let me be more specific. Processed food that has gluten causes inflammation in my joints. I don't know if it's the wheat, the gluten, the refined sugars, or a combination of all three. However, I've found that if I order gluten free, it does wonders to save my joints from the pain. Maybe because I'm not eating the wheat, maybe not the gluten, but either way, I know what works with my body. I'm tired of getting glares just because I don't want to feel like I'm 90 years old the day after a gluten heavy meal.

The fad followers are annoying and ignorant but there is one upside. Because people are demanding it, more options are becoming available for those who actually are allergic or intolerant. My roommate, who has celiac disease, came back one day super excited because the store started carrying a brand of gluten-free taquitos in the frozen food section. As for the chef, everyone else has done a good job of pointing out your many errors but one more thing: saying that people that have a disease or intolerance should never eat out is extremely demeaning. So much of the time it isn't about your food; it's about being able to be a part of a normal social experience. It's like saying the Special Olympics shouldn't exist.

yenze 18

Ok first off i never said gluten free people shouldn't eat out i said they shouldn't dine at non gluten free restaurants. 2ed when i get a gluten free order i make it for them that's my job. i just said it annoys me but i do ask my wait staff to let them know that if may be cooked in a gluten fryer or on a grill that has gluten on it. People with gluten allergies don't bug me its people who say they are gluten free because they are allergic when they are not like someone who wont eat a burger bun unless its gluten free bit has no problem with the soup even though it has flour in it

Do gluten-free restaurants even exist? Even if they do, what you're proposing sounds a lot like segregation.

Actually, as some one with celiac- it's not that rare... And 1% of the population is actually a lot of people. While I detest the fad dieters and the hipsters, it really has made my life more enjoyable, as I can go out and eat without getting sick.

A lot of the time, gluten is "hidden" is soups or sauces as thickener. I was amazed at the things I could no longer eat. You have no idea what another persons struggle is- when they were diagnosed, or what their issue is. It is incredibly disrespectful to treat your customers as a nuisance. They literally pay your bills. The first time I went to a restaurant and had to be gluten free it took me 20 minutes to find something I could eat, and then I could here them talking about how they had to change gloves and get a special bowl like I was being a pain in the ass. I cried. Being told you can't have 90% of what is in a grocery store - that is a pain in the ass. Going out with my friends and feeling like a normal twenty something? I should never feel like I don't belong.

"The disease, genetic in origin, affects a reported three million Americans (one percent of the population). Although 20-30 percent of the world's population has been found to carry the HLA-DQ gene associated with a genetic susceptibility to celiac disease, 95 percent of celiacs still go undiagnosed."

#56: As an intelligent person, it really annoys me that you erroneously "tote" your qualification of being intelligent firstly, by using the word "tote" (defn: to carry) instead of the correct word "tout" (defn: to praise); secondly, by using the word "topic" instead of the correct word "object" (to which said attitude is directed); and thirdly, by not realizing just how condescending, unsympathetic, and ignorant you (unknowingly?) come across here in the first sentence of your post towards people w/ learning disabilities e.g., dyslexia. :-( However, the rest of your post is very well-written and informative. :-) Wishing you a wonderful day and Happy Holidays!

Revised since the editing session of my prior post #111 expired too soon :-( === * #56 - lynnlady: * "tout" (defn: to make known) *unknowingly and/or unintentionally (?) * towards people w/ (possible) learning disabilities e.g., dyslexia per #18 - yenze (chef), which unfortunately also doesn't seem like very ladylike behavior, Lynn.... :-( Again, wishing you a wonderful day and Happy Holidays!

You said most milk is, so apparently that means some isn't. Should've just given her some gluten free milk instead of being condescending. You may not have tried to be but comments like that make you sound it.

Pretty sure that gluten is a thing found in various wheats and grains. Now I'm pretty sure that dairy isn't a wheat and the OP was probably trying to be nice and not just straight up tell a customer they're wrong (which is what I do).

Customer service is an art form akin to juggling. Stay positive (while helping people who get pissed off if you smile at them), pretend you're the expert (but only when they ask your opinion), and remember that the customer is always right (no matter how WRONG they are). Otherwise, try to be non-offensive and look like you're enjoying the abuse. It's all about making them want to come back...even if you'd like some of them to drive off a cliff. I daresay I'm a much nicer customer overall after my time in retail.

At least you didn't lose your job for closing up shop 84 seconds early! Sorry, OP. Looks like people working customer service jobs can never win, ever!

Badkarma4u 17

You made the assumption that she didn't know that MOST milk is gluten free. Thats not what she was asking you, she wanted to ensure that if you had milk with gluten added, that you don't use it. The fact about most milk is irrelevant since she was not planning on drinking most mik, her only concern was the milk she was ordering from you. So yes you were patronizing, to assume someone with a food allergy did not know the basics of that allergy.

All plain, unflavored milk is gluten free. Look when someone is dead-ass wrong where I work I always hedge what I say so someone doesn't lose their shit at me. So I'll say, "Most of these items..." And fill in whatever parameters.

Malsain_fml 10

#19 Thank you, I was about to write that. Yes, most milks are gluten free, but we don't care, what the guy wants to know is if YOUR milk is gluten free. So if you don't know, you have to check it. If this is not being patronizing, well at least this is being carless. Is that really better?

juturnaamo 29

If anyone is going to have some bizarre flavored milk it would be Starbucks.

NO milk whatsoever contains gluten unless wheat or grains are added to it. Gluten is the chemical structure responsible for allowing breads to raise. It is what gives baked goods their structure so they aren't flat puddles of butter and sugar.

I have had customers use the words "gluten" "lactose" and "hypoallergenic" interchangeably. OP was probably trying to clarify what the hell this person was talking about. The general public is terrible to deal with. Like when people ask if we sell tobacco products but then get angry if I don't tell them about nicotine gum.

SmittyJA24 26

Customers are assholes. Oh, I said that yesterday. Nothing's changed.

OP like you, many of us have served our time in the trenches of the service industry, and I don't believe you were being patronizing. It is a difficult line though, when correcting or even clarifying an order when customer shows the common sense of a rock. MOST air is gluten free as well, I hope your customer never finds herself walking through a wheat field. This is more about an idiotic customer that needed to make someone else feel bad so that they could feel better about themselves, while only spending $3.00. I bet the same customer ask you to make her an Iced Cappuccino.