By burnt - 13/08/2012 04:43 - Australia - Middle Swan

Today, while cooking, I managed to burn my finger. I quickly turned the tap on and ran my finger under cold water, but apparently someone had just used the hot tap, because boiling water flooded out onto my nicely scalded finger. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 138
You deserved it 3 355

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ahem, scalded* Yes, I did just become one of those people.

Comments

brohamas16 7

outta the frying pan and into the fire.....or boiling hot water

Remember when commenting on a persons comment used to have something to do with the persons comment now people do it just to get to the top

I'll see your banana and raise you a turtle.

Psych101 9

Remember when commenting on an FML had something to do with the FML?

linkinpark98 23

Now you know what steamed vegetables feel like... c:

I've heard that hot water is better for burns...or am I just crazy?

Never heard that one before. You're probably thinking of how warm water freezes faster than cold water. True story.

e_r_i_c_a 4

I have heard that room temperature water was the best. If someone Is actually badly burned all over if you put them in cold water their body can like go in shock from the temperature change, but when someone burns their finger it probably doesn't matter much.

Finally someone who knows the right way! It's warm water because it won't shock the skin. Cold water or ice will cause further damage. When I was 2 1/2 my brothers and sister and I were playing outside near a fire that had just started to go down so it was only embers left well I fell in them and burnt my hands do bad I almost lost three fingers. My mom put my hands on ice and my skin basically peeled off.

Its hot water because it draws the heat from the burn. Its the same with sunburn.

I've always heard the best thing is cool running water. You want to gradually get the skin back to normal temperature, so nothing cold, but hot water wouldn't do anything. Room temp is best.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

#30- I actually got extra credit for proving to my 5th grade teacher that warm water freezes faster than cold water, because she didn't believe me at first.

That's not actually true. It just seems like it because of the more noticeable change in temperature at the start. Once they get to a certain degree, they freeze at the same amount of time.

perdix 29

The good news is that you ARE in the kitchen.

You're supposed to use warn water not cold.

Oh hun, no, you're not. It ice you shouldn't use. Running Cold water over it for 15 to 20 minutes is highly recommended.

No, cold water will shock the skin. And honestly I like to just let my burns just stop on their own because I found using anything other then burn ointment is only temporary. The pain comes back worse. For me anyway.

ellytoad 13

You read "boiling" and you think "nice and warm"?

Unless the mayo clinic doesn't know their shit, then cold water is fine, its ice straight on the burn you shouldnt use. Trust me, I just went through this research last night. Oil burns on fingertips aren't fun.

Warm water. Seriously. Or at least water that isn't "cold" if it's cool it's fine cold is bad. So is ice, butter, margarine, bandaids, etc. The best idea is to do nothing. The pain subsides quickly if it's just a simple first or second degree burn. If its second degree, watch out for that blister!!

I suppose cool makes sense, sense ice clod water would be the same as ice. I apologize for my comments from before too, I just read me over and realized how rude they sounded. I guess I was just taking from "holy shit that warm water hurts!" I just experienced before I wrote them. ^_^

Can you imagine what it feels like to be a crab?

Try wrapping the burn in foil OP. leave it overnight. I don't know why it works, but it does.

That would be a challenge. As the skin would be sore and foil gets pointy. But it seems it would work a little. It also seems a bad idea, foil traps the heat.

It actually didn't poke at all, surprisingly enough. I don't know if it was the best for it, but it sure took away the pain I had been having for the past few hours in a matter of minutes. :D

103 that's the point. trapping the heat in the foil draws the heat from the burn which takes away the pain.

don't use cold water if you burn yourself..the difference is to strong....a mix of cold and a bit of warm water is better