By achoooo - 07/11/2009 05:34 - United States

Today, to celebrate moving into a new apartment, my girlfriend decided she would get a kitten. She didn't know I'm allergic to cats. When I told her, she decided that she couldn't date someone who couldn't be around her cat; the one she doesn't have yet. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 426
You deserved it 3 011

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I hope her name is on the lease and not yours, that way you can bail. If you still have to live together after breaking up, that sucks dude. Though cats are awesome. Also, first. I've never been first before. It's nice.

You didn't say that it was a new appartment the two of you got together - I hope for your sake it's not. And I have to assume those of you who agree with the girlfriend's choice have never actually been in love with a human being. Don't get me wrong, I'd never abandon my cat for my girlfriend, but I wouldn't abandon my girlfriend for my cat either. I would find a way to arrange my life that allows for both of them. If he had told her "it's me or the cat" that would be different- I'm assuming he didn't say that because people on FML don't seem to be shy about that sort of thing. I've seen "Today, I told my [significant other] that either [pet / car / roommate / other] goes or I go. They chose the [pet / car / roommate / other]. FML" a couple of times.

Comments

capthavoc123 0

Well, that kind of sucks, but if she was that attached to the idea of keeping a cat for a pet it was bound to happen sooner or later.

CyclonePsycho 1

Eh, she's selfish. The relationship wouldn't have gone anywhere anyway.

I wonder what would happen if her first born child was allergic to cats. Oh dear.

All of you saying that you'd choose your pets over your significant others - you act as though he MADE her choose one or the other. All he did was tell her that he was allergic to cats. She assumed that he could never be around her cats (to which he could have told her, well, if that's a problem, medication). She just automatically jumped to conclusions and is being a stupid bitch anyway. In any case, that sucks. People shouldn't have to choose between their pets and their significant others like that. My boyfriend's allergic to cats (and I love cats), but his family has two of them. He's just gotten used to it and learned ways to cope with them.

Be sure to run over her cat when she gets it.

get a Siamese cat, 90% of people who are allergic to cats aren't allergic to Siamese ones, different dander. my brother is allergic to cats but him and his fiance got a Siamese one and he doesn't get anything at all.

davek 36

FYL, but you're well rid of her.

I'm very allergic to cats. I own 4 cats. I take one pill a day and have no problems, you are a Dumbass.

Well, the Schadenfreude is good today... your story kept me from breaking up with my girlfriend over unforeseeable future circumstances. Thanks Achoooo!