By Anonymous - 02/04/2016 09:23 - Australia - Melbourne

Today, my sister called me a moron after I told her that no, healthy foods do not give you "negative calories". She's 21 and goes around telling everyone that she's an expert nutritionist. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 497
You deserved it 1 642

Same thing different taste

Top comments

alex_the_tiger 14

Well celery use more calories chewing it than calories gained by consuming it

I'm surprised so many people still believe a lot of the diet/health "tips" that so called experts spout to get people to listen to them. Doing a little research before trying any sort of diet goes on a long way into staying healthy and safe.

Comments

alex_the_tiger 14

Well celery use more calories chewing it than calories gained by consuming it

It's a myth that it has negative/zero calories. A quick google search will debunk it for you if you're interested. (:

Nothing has negative calories. But celery is still really healthy, so if the myth gets people to eat more of it, maybe that's a good thing.

Ice water is similar. It takes energy to digest cold water because your body needs to bring it up to the same temperature as you. Of course it's not a lot of calories to do that.

Water has no calories to begin with, so...

How about ur sister should start doin some exercise to burn calories rather than eating "calorie negative" food

Actually, no it doesn't. But a great myth refuses to die.

Theoretically, if you eat enough celery you'll waste away to nothing.

As does lettuce and many leafy greens. OP needs to google before he shows his assholism.

No.. No it won't, Celery, Lettuce and similar still have more calories in them than you spend eating them, it's a myth.. nothing more.

Well that's some food for thought I'll show myself out now.

Some foods really do have negative calories (such as celery which takes more calories to chew than are actually in the food) but obviously just because a food is healthy doesnt mean its guilt free.

That's a myth and a quick Google search would have debunked that idea. Also "guilt free" is ridiculous, calories are required for life out shouldn't make someone feel guilty for consuming a required substance.

yoursucklives 36

healthy food should always be "guilt free". you know because it's healthy.

Well isn't that the pot calling the kettle black.

Well isn't that your brain calling your head back?

idk where he was going with his comment

He meant that a moron was calling someone else a moron.

Well at least someone was bright enough to get it.

No, #50, I understood the meaning of the idiom, but the way that you're using it here just doesn't make sense. Are you just calling the OP a moron to be a dick? Are you trying to be funny by being harsh and bitter?

I'm surprised so many people still believe a lot of the diet/health "tips" that so called experts spout to get people to listen to them. Doing a little research before trying any sort of diet goes on a long way into staying healthy and safe.

Mathalamus 24

i just go all the way, and dismiss all known diet plans as idiotic. every human is different from the other. no standard plan will work. the extent that you can feel safe in trusting is that at least some exercise is good, and you need to eat some food to not die.

The only diet plans you shouldn't debunk as idiotic right away are ones a doctor prescribes to you. But if you found it online or in a book, don't just blindly follow it.

Mathalamus 24

i would still be wary of doctors. they are, after all, not a specifically trained nutritionist. all he can do is tell you to cut back on salt, cause otherwise your heart will explode violently. or something to that effect.

stangbang92 17

I'm surprised your so knowledgable in a subject that simple math proves wrong... I did your little Google search. It gives six calories but 10 calories is what is needed to digest it. ??

What does #32? I didn't mention a specific food. Just in general. It's good to do all sorts of research before embarking on a diet - especially a fad one like those juice diets or whatever. Some are really dangerous to your body.

#32 it takes less than 10 to digest celery since a good portion of it cannot be digested much closer to only 2 or 3. There are no foods that give "negative calories" and no exact amount of calories to digest every food, they all vary dependant on food and other factors. A Google search would have explained that too.

MikaykayUnicorn 36

Didn't you know that if you eat enough vegetables, you body shrivels up and disappears because of the negative calories? Ban vegetables 2k16

amileah13 26

Don't worry, she's the one that's going to look stupid going around telling everyone that.

Celery is mostly the negative calorie food...that's probably her poor defence aspect...she'll have to go back and study a bit more...

Judging by your comment; so should you.

You didn't know healthy food gave you negative calorie effects and health buffs? L2P noob git gud m8

So all of you saying to google the celery myth. You should probably actually do a little research. No you don't burn off the calories chewing it though. It just takes your body more energy to digest the celery then the celery provides. So yes it is a negative calorie food. You're welcome

Celery contains roughly 6 calories per stalk, and takes half a calorie to eat. It has next to no thermogenic effect. To be calorie negative, the thermogenic effect would need to be 100%

Well considering your body can not metabolize half of the calories in celery, because of cellulose, you only have to burn 3 of the calories which will happen in the digestion process. Again please do your research.