By Wtfbruhimmovingout - 28/11/2015 02:38 - Canada - Toronto

Today, my mom tried to burn my arm with a hot spatula, all because I got a tattoo against her wishes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 466
You deserved it 5 522

Same thing different taste

Top comments

*Your mother's logic* "How dare you get a permanent marking on your skin! Let me give you this other permanent marking to teach you a lesson!"

Murilirum 23

Yeah, because branding is so much cooler these days.

Comments

Nissi 17

Her house, her rules. Why does this generation have such a hard time grasping that? (And I say "this generation" because it seems to me the vast majority of FMLers are between 16-24, and most of these comments regarding questioning OP's age or respecting his mother's wishes are getting downvoted.) I grew up in a home where if your mother didn't want you to do something, then you didn't do it out of respect. Plain and simple. Did OP deserve a branding? Well, in my opinion no. Should OP have listened to his mother's wishes since he's living in her home? I think yes. YDI, and FYL.

Nissi 17

It's annoying to see all these teeny boppers mob around with their opinions that show their inexperience.

writergirl1029 17

It does depend on how old OP is. While a child should respect their parents' wishes, a parent also needs to step back at a certain point and let them make their own mistakes. I'd understand the mother freaking out if OP was under 18, but nothing justifies physical violence.

leogachi 15

@74 A person doesn't deserve your respect just because you're their parent. Sacrifice, money, blah blah blah. You CHOSE to do that. And any parent who thinks abuse is okay (and Op's mother clearly does) doesn't deserve to be respected. You get respect by giving it.

#80 i completely agree! Parents chose to have you - why should you respect them if they don't act like a good parent? If they try then absolutely respect them - but it bugs me that people think being a parent means your child automatically can never criticise you or always has to do what you say - if the parent is abusive or unreasonable then you shouldn't have to do it (unreasonable is subjective i know that)

MonstreBelle 28

No one is saying what OP did was right or that it wasn't disrespectful. What his mom did is a crime and much worse than what he did. Assaulting your kid is never an okay punishment when they do something you don't want them to. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Abuse is never justified. Her house, her rules doesn't mean she can do whatever she wants to her kid and it doesn't exempt her from criticism. Kids are people, not property owned by their parents. Parents do not have the right to do whatever they want to their kids until the day they turn 18. Minors have the same rights as legal adults. One of those such rights is the right to be protected from suffering bodily harm at the hands of another person.

Next time hide it til its healed or longer. Perhaps move out if u can't maybe don't buy tattoos save up to move out.

Hey she's the only one that can mark you for life

The burn scar woulsd be more permanent than the tattoo!

Well one time my grandma was gonna burn my mom with an iron for whatever reason...PEOPLE ARE CRAZY

MysticPizza 15

My mom doesn't know I have a tattoo (actually 7 of them). I'll never tell her and she won't see them either. I'm a 50 year old woman.

if you're over 18 then move out, if you're under 18 then lisTEN TO YOUR MOTHER! If you ARE under 18 then it sounds like your mother has had enough of your "I know what I'm doing" attitude.

My ex girlfriend's father once chased me around with a machete, backed me into a corner and picked me up by the nipples just because he thought it was funny. Now, THAT is psychotic.