By Facepalm - 15/08/2011 23:09 - United States

Today, my mom threw out years worth of trophies that I'd put tons of effort into earning. Her reason? They all looked the same to her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 078
You deserved it 2 566

Same thing different taste

Top comments

corbendo 3

I'd be digging through the trash if I were you.

Comments

She's not very smart, perceptive, or polite. That's why she probably has no trophies whatsoever.

I'd be putting some gloves on getting some deep heat out and smearing it all over your old gals toys and telling her to go **** herself. inconsiderate bitch hey

kaykay20 0

Most parents and grandparents want to keep things like that around. Why didn't she think of packing them away in the attic or basement?

trophy wife is your mum from the o.c.?

Trophies are just material things. Sorry but thats just sad if you need a shinny statue to remind you of what you did. Oh wait its so you can "show off" to people. To be honest thats good she got rid of them, it makes you a not material bitch.

Moobug 4

Oh come on, everyone should be allowed to be proud of something - it doesn't matter how you keep a record of the achievement.

you shouldnt need accolades to remind you (or anyone) of who you are.

by that logic, those soldiers who've been awarded medals (from the Purple Heart to the Medal of Honor) should just toss 'em when they get home. don't need them to know they got 'em, right? what's the sense in keeping them?

Moobug 4

Agreed. Sometimes it's healthy to be able to show you did something worthwhile once - otherwise, all you have is stories and we live in an age where if you want someone to believe what you tell them, you need proof that isn't the internet. Trophies are as good as photographs, souvenirs, anything like that. I'd also be interested to know if all the people saying 'They're just material possessions' think the same rule applies to certificates. They serve the same purpose as trophies, except they're made of paper and have a bit more writing on them. Would you say 'it's just paper'?

I don't understand how you can feel proud for winning such generic events. Does it add value to your life or are they such big feats that you can say your life has improved enough by completing them to get a permanent reminder? I've never felt that way with any prize i won. Thats why i have a cup with a blank plate. I have it for two years now and until i do something that makes me so goddamn proud and i'll leave it blank and use the cup for my spare euro's.

Moobug 4

That's really unfair. I'd love to be able to show my kids a boxful of trophies one day - it's inspiring, helps make your kids want to go out and do stuff! Furthermore, what happened to being allowed to have a few things that actually BELONG to you as well? Do parents often throw things out without asking these days? Chuck out all your mother's biscuits. If she buys another pack, take one out and bin the rest. After all, they all look the same. If she bitches over biscuits then you totally have ammunition to make her dig through local tips to get your trophies back ;)

Brandon_ryan 0

those of you who say good on her, they're useless, material crap that only serves the conceited, etc... have you nothing you're proud of? nothing from your past you've kept? regardless of if it's your grandfather's pocketwatch, your great uncle's war medals, or your favorite socks, it's just material shit that you shouldn't need to remember who you (or they) are, or were. i say fyl, op... sucks that your mom doesn't respect your privacy, space, or achievements.

Moobug 4

This. How many people do you think would readily choose not to clean a car they saved for years to afford? Or clear and reset a hi-score screen on their favourite game? Maybe delete/burn all the photographs from their favourite holiday or summer break? Some things take more work than others, but it doesn't mean you like it any more or less.

My mom did the same thing. But with my school binders! I have a different one for everyone class!