By Anonymous - 03/09/2014 18:24 - United States - White Plains

Today, my husband asked our tax professional if we could file my profession as "Expert Dream Murderer." I'm a guidance counselor. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 746
You deserved it 5 299

Same thing different taste

Top comments

wannabesinger 16

All throughout middle and high school, my guidance counselors told me I would never be a vet tech, I wasn't smart enough, and "oh well my son thought he wanted to be one too and then he got bit by a dog so you'll change your mind!" Now that I'm in vet tech school I want nothing more than to revisit them and shove it in their face. Tell me I can't do something, and I'll show you I can.

Comments

Honestly, guidance councilors aren't much help.

Funny, my guidance counselor has always been pretty helpful to me. Sounds like I'm the only one? :/

She must be new not to realize what her profession actually does.

You're not alone. My guidance counselor was super helpful. She gave me a clear plan to achieve the career I was interested in back then. Told me all the classes I needed to take, where the most jobs were available, etc. Hell, she was more helpful than anyone in my university.

My guidance counselor only told us "everybody wears different hats". Then, to drive his point home, he brought a bunch of hats with him and changed them periodically during his presentation. So that was helpful...

I don't know why #57 is getting thumbed down so much. It is incorrect to assume that OP is a woman given that there are no pronouns or gender markers given in the post. The only indication identifying OP is the fact that this took place in New York State where people of any gender may marry.

DanShowsNoMercy 13

More like exposing people to reality, in a brutal way.

Have you "murdered his dreams" in the past?

RedPillSucks 31

You didn't know that was another name for a guidance counselor?

wannabesinger 16

All throughout middle and high school, my guidance counselors told me I would never be a vet tech, I wasn't smart enough, and "oh well my son thought he wanted to be one too and then he got bit by a dog so you'll change your mind!" Now that I'm in vet tech school I want nothing more than to revisit them and shove it in their face. Tell me I can't do something, and I'll show you I can.

Mathametic 14

Afraid you're going to get a lot of stupid comments along the lines of "I bet you can't post nudes" I apologize on their behalf in advance.

deviking 10

Never once Senn those comments before but go on #9 I'm a believer that you can do anything if you try hard enough I personally want to e a marine biologist I feel the same way no one is goon I say no to my dream and I'm glad your following through you should go back and shove your vet diploma In there face

AnOriginalName 19

15, the difference between you and #9 is that she can communicate in intelligible English.

deviking 10

I'm so sorry Im bad at typing plus autocorrect was a bad combo

cadillacgal79 32

I feel bad for the people who have/had terrible counsellors. Mine (from what I've heard through the grapevine) are really good.

My school's counselors don't even care and are unintelligible. They'd probably be confused at half the words I use, and they aren't even very fancy.

I couldn't agree more! Congratulations by the way :)

It sounds like they actually managed to be great guidance counselors (albeit inadvertantly). They provided extra motivation!

Autocorrect doesn't make you shut at spelling. It turns the gibberish you write into actual words. You had a bad education from the internet. Lay off it for a while.

You can't send me pictures of your boobs, 9208194310

almightyteapot 8

I just saw my middle school guidance councelor yesterday for the first time since he told me that I'm not going to be able to get into the high school I wanted to get into. Well guess what asshat who made me cry infront of him, I just graduated from that said high school earlier this year.

deviking 10

I said I was bad at typing than auto correct corrected it wrong so I didn't notice the errors then couldn't edit it no news to be a jerk

I couldn't help but notice that your name is wannabesinger

My guidance counselor said "Rockstar" is not a profession, and I should choose something more realistic. Turns out she was right, at least for me, but she still killed my dreams.

Rockstar may not be a profession but musician is. Just like racer is not a profession but driver is.

PoisonOrchid 21

She's only right if you let her be #10. You can still be a rockstar. Maybe your audience and venue have changed a little, but hey, who is she to judge?! Anyway, as long as you're happy.

Some dreams are made to be killed while others supported