By Anonymous - 28/02/2011 03:23

Today, my girlfriend broke up with me for not letting her keep the 75 cents that she stole from my truck. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 207
You deserved it 50 943

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wow, you couldn't let her keep three quarters? Did you think this would happen: *Mugger: give me at least 75 cents or I blow your brains out! *You: Curse my evil girlfriend, she has killed me!

IMveryHUNGRY 3

Comments

75 cents? I'd get it if it was 75 dollars but that's kinda selfish

yeah.. cause stealing from your bf and breaking up with him over that isnt selfish.. hurray for double-standards!!

eclecticstrings 0

true but he didn't have to be such a cheap ass in the first place like, let her keep it, big whoop, it's just 75 cents

Well, you could say the OP is an asshole for not letting her steal his shit, or you could recognize that she's a self-centered bitch who broke up with him over less than $1.

Agreed. You ask first, and you offer to repay. It's a tiny amount of money but in stealing that, she demonstrated that she would be willing to just take. Which would personally put me on edge around the girlfriend anyway. And breaking up? PETTY of her, but at least she's out of your life.

oh my god really guys it's 75 cents guys! Jesus you guys are really over thinking this!

And you AubriS & everyone else siding with his ex obviously have a warped sense of right & wrong. Stealing is stealing.

understandable if they were strangers I would agree. but they were in a relationship. obviously you don't know what being in a relationship entails.

ReynshineCutting 10

Exactly what I was thinking. It might not be ok if they'd just started dating (although come on it's only 75 cents) but if they've been together long enough where everything is kind of mutual then it's not stealing. it's the pre stages of "what's mine is yours, what's yours is mine" that comes when you get engaged. Since OP didn't say how serious they were, we can only guess. my fiancé is always digging for quarters in my purse for drinks and it doesn't bother me in the slightest but we act like we're married and have a joint bank account too.

ReynshineCutting 10

Ugg, damn phone not capitalizing when it was supposed to!

I am in a relationship and I've been in relationships before, so I'd say I have a fair idea of what it's like to be in a relationship. And as far as I'm concerned, stealing is a clear violation of trust, privacy and shows a lack of respect with a batch of egoism. Maybe it's just me having no idea of what it's like to be in a relationship, but I'm not really sure that stealing from your partner, whatever the sum, is a plus point. But then again, what do I know; you know better, right?

FYLDeep 25

Just couldn't let it go I guess.

75 cents? She probably didn't even think she was 'stealing' it.

Exactly right. I don't think too many people would think they're stealing if they take 75c from a significant other. I also don't think the OP got dumped because his girlfriend wanted the money that badly, but rather because he was being super petty.

Ooh, thanks for the tip! I'll go steal small change from my boyfriend now and he can't do anything about it because we're a couple! I do so enjoy ripping down the trust we've got in each other! [/sarcasm]

It's 75 CENTS. Maybe it's because 75cents where I come from is worth 7 times less than (US)75cents, but if someone (significant other, friend, or family) took 75cents from me, I wouldn't care. Who even notices such a small amount go missing? And who demands it back?

My mother raised me that you always ask before taking/borrowing someone's stuff, and that if possible you return or recompense them. The only exception being tissues and sanitary towels. If you ask, then they wont become angry or worried, and you wont get blasted - and if you return/recompense then you maintain a good relationship. The girlfriend was in the wrong because she didn't ask - what if the OP was saving that change for a parking meter (some people keep change in the ashtray for this purpose) then realised it wasn't there? It would make me, personally, feel very worried. Also, you're meant to be able to trust your partner. It's only small change, but it would make me paranoid when things go missing later.

You talk about trust in a relationship and I think that's fair enough, but we're not talking about her scooping up his credit card. I don't know what your experience has been, but if you're in a solid relationship you can have the confidence that your partner won't mind you taking something like 75cents. I feel that even if the change had an intended purpose, like a parking meter, it was pretty petty of the OP to demand it back. Sure, be a bit miffed at the inconvenience, but seriously...

If she needed it for an emergency, then she should have told him straight away and given it back ASAP. I get the impression that she did not do this, seeing as the OP said she 'stole' it. This isn't based on past relationships, it's what I was taught growing up. It's what everyone I know was taught as well.

ReynshineCutting 10

I said this in another comment, but depending on the stage of the relationship you get into the pre stages of "what's mine is yours, what's yours is mine" where little stuff like this doesn't matter, where you'll both pay for dinner, etc. If they'd just started dating then I can see it becoming a problem but if they've been together awhile and are quite serious it's ridiculous on both ends. Or maybe they're 16 and don't yet understand how relationships work.

ptxace 0

Your an idiot smh. Deserved it.

75 cents? that's a whole damn lot of money! how dare she even have the idea cross her mind to keep it, or to even touch it at all. fyl OP, gotta watch out for those gold diggers.