By Anonymous - 12/02/2015 16:50 - Romania - Bucharest

Today, my boyfriend threw a fit because I "still" live with my mother at age 30. I bought her an apartment in my building and hired a live-in nurse because she is senile and permanently bedridden. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 322
You deserved it 2 545

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You're the logical one here OP. And you might want to get him a nurse too. He seems a little senile himself.

Wow, your boyfriend sounds like an asshole. You're a great daughter for taking the best possible care of your mother even if she is senile. Keep doing what you're doing, OP.

Comments

Well. He sounds like a right royal fuckstick. Politely escort him to the nearest exit and push him down the stairs...

This is a huge red flag to me, OP. I work with the elderly and you'd be shocked at how poorly many husbands treat their wives who have dementia. (Blaming, thinking she's faking, thinking she just needs to snap out of it, etc.) If he can't see the reasons why your mom needs you, and accuses you this way, I'd seriously consider if the relationship is viable long term.

I was thinking the same thing. If he doesn't feel like elderly, handicapped family should be cared for then I highly doubt he will want to properly care for you should you be in need of it either. I believe that the way a man treats his mother says a GREAT deal about him. (or in this case how he feels about you caring for YOUR mother)

On a related topic, OP, be sure to take care of yourself. One of the best things I did when my mother had dementia, was to get into a caregiver support group

Agreed. Take care of yourself while caring for your mom. Caregiver.Org. You are a great lady for taking care of your mom, glad you have a nurse to help. As for BF, he has some growing up to do.

The OP is in Romania, and it is tradition over there for the children to take care of their parents at old age.

In my culture, you don't leave until you're married so seeing people in their thirties and at home isn't really a big deal, well...as long as you're pulling your weight in and not acting like a freeloader. If you've explained your situation and he still threw a fit, then he's stupid.

Where're you from, out of curiosity?

Knightchaser27 25

I know it was like that for my parents in India,they both lived at home all through college and only moved out after they got married.

A lot of cultures do it this way and it makes so much sense from a financial standpoint. In a lot of places a lot of the family lives in one house too (like parents living with their married kids and their grandkids etc.) which would also save a whole lot of money too.

Dump him, he's an idiot!! There's a difference between living with your parents and your parents living with you.