By Anonymous - 06/09/2014 22:19 - United States - Cottonwood

Today, my boyfriend canceled his plans to attend my father's wake, not even 10 minutes after he found out there won't be any alcohol on offer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 990
You deserved it 4 128

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Not gonna say break it off, but this may make you want to think very hard about him.

Rosebudx 32

Cancel your plans to be his girlfriend?

Comments

Ouch... Some ppl really can't handle how others deal with death. Maybe there's something more going on there. Talk it out before jumping on the "dump him" train.

He's not a good boyfriend for you, ifhe wouldnt come to your fathers funeral.

TCRII 29

I'm sorry that you lost your dad and having a boyfriend do something so crass is unthinkable. Whenever we suffer a loss, we want our loved ones around us. If they really care, then they also want to be there to support and comfort us. Talk to you boyfriend to find out why he really cancelled. Ask lots of questions. Repeat and re-phrase the questions to see if he changes his answers. Don't let him slide with any BS excuses.

Seems pretty clear to me why he doesn't want to go.

therealjc_fml 14

That shouldn't even weigh into his decision to support you. Sorry for your loss:( but if the reason is because he can't handle it or something he could just have one beforehand to calm his nerves. Nevertheless though he needs to suck or up and be there for YOU!

What's all this 'can't deal with death' crap..? If he was going to come before under the assumption that there'd be alcohol, changing his mind after that would signal something else

Sorry for your loss OP, but since when do calling hours or funerals have open bar? Might be time to take a closer look at this guy. Not that you should take relationship advice from anyone on this site...

ArashiGirl 13

How awful. He isnt a good bf if he isnt going to stand tall during the hard times. Sorry for your lose OP, i know what thats like.

imbatmanfir 15

Im sorry if I sound dumb but could someone please explain what a wake is?

A wake is usually a day or 2 before the actual funeral where family and friends view the deceased person in their open casket. It normally takes place in the deceased person's house or in a funeral home.

All the wakes I've ever been to have been pretty much an after-funeral celebration of the person's life. Been to a couple held in pubs. Never had a viewing of the deceased at one I've been to. I think it all just depends on the family and their wishes. I'm pretty sure it's not the same thing as the actual funeral though!

Ohhh yeah, that's the bit after the funeral where tea and sandwiches are served in a pub/hotel and then everyone gets smashed afterwards...Never considered that as a wake, I usually just called it the big piss up after a funeral haha

It's tradition in Ireland and has only sort of taken on in the States. Spending time in the deceased's house, the walkthrough to view the body and/or socialise with other mourners can go for a few days. Tea, sandwiches, cakes and usually alcohol are served by the house hosts, but most guests chip in and help. The nice thing about wakes is they are happy. Funerals are callous and cold (in my opinion). Wakes are a time for comfort, bonding with family, and celebrating the deceased's life. Wakes are lovely.

gemstone586 12

wow, it makes so much more sense now that he thought there would be alcohol. Not that it excuses him, but I was also thinking the wake was the visitation, which is really just an extension of the funeral...