By JStein - 29/11/2012 04:33 - United States - Hampshire

Today my boyfriend and my best friend had a very lengthy, detailed conversation about Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, of which I know nothing about. Once they stopped, I looked at him and smiled, and he responded with, "Why can't you be more like her?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 395
You deserved it 8 950

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should read that, it's not a classic for nothing... It is acceptable to have different interests than your boyfriend, but maybe you could try looking into what he likes, some of my ex-boyfriends showed me some great movies, books and music!

I don't really agree, people often have different interest and while she could definitely watch a movie with her bf of show interest, she doesn't have to. and the way he commented on it was really harsh.

Comments

I don't think YDI at all, what your boyfriend said was hurtful. People here are missing the point- you're not upset about their common interest, you're upset by the comment he made. And couples don't have to share all the same interests as long as they're civil about it. My boyfriend and I don't share everything in common but we don't try to change each other, either, and that's what it's about. I do think people in a relationship should at least be supportive and try to understand each other's interests, but if they don't like them then they don't like them. Oh well.

Well, as a fellow female...I'd feel pretty hurt and insulted inside, but I'll pretend to brush it off with a smile. Then I'll wait for the chance when I can strike back with twice as much sarcasm. Like talking even more enthusiastically about something I like with another person in front of him, and repeating the same words, "Why can't you be more like him? *sigh for additional effect*•. More than a few times. Just to annoy him and drive the point across. Vengeance ftw.

leilagee 5
doglover100 28

One of the worst things a guy can say to a girl is why can't you be more like her

StephenStills 6

He's still with you isn't he? Despite you knowing nothing about something he cares about. Change it, watch the movies with him, put up with it.

It was just a joke. I say, movie night, LOTR marathon. You'll thank me for it.

Hmm...time for a changing of the guard. New BF, and a new BFF. Let the nerds have each other- and make more nerdlets.

The boxoffice would disagree with that 61.