By JStein - 29/11/2012 04:33 - United States - Hampshire

Today my boyfriend and my best friend had a very lengthy, detailed conversation about Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, of which I know nothing about. Once they stopped, I looked at him and smiled, and he responded with, "Why can't you be more like her?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 395
You deserved it 8 950

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should read that, it's not a classic for nothing... It is acceptable to have different interests than your boyfriend, but maybe you could try looking into what he likes, some of my ex-boyfriends showed me some great movies, books and music!

I don't really agree, people often have different interest and while she could definitely watch a movie with her bf of show interest, she doesn't have to. and the way he commented on it was really harsh.

Comments

I think you deserve it simply because you haven't read the books and obviously haven't seen the movies. If you boyfriend likes them then why not suck it up for a few hours and either read the darn books or watch the damn movies. Then you can have a lot to talk about. Besides, I don't think he was serious about what he said. He is dating you not the friend right? So take it as constructive criticism and get interested in what your boyfriend likes even if it bores you.

She doesn't HAVE to do anything. She should read the books and watch the movies if it interests HER. If it doesn't, then it's not her fault. It's not being narrow-minded if someone just doesn't want to do something.

I would tell him that it wasn't fair to compare you two though. If its a once off thing, let it go. If it happens again then talk to him. Communication is important if you want a healthy relationship.

Except, I'm one of those geeky somewhat tomboyish girls that's into guy stuff that guys "claim" they want like in this post... but instead they just keep friendzoning me saying I make a better best bud.... So while that was rude of him to say to OP and I feel bad for her, I feel just as bad for the friend

kucukachuu 4
Rocker_grunty 5

try and get to know more about the stuff.your boyfriend likes silly :)

haruhiotakufan16 7

Alright look. If he is interested in lord of the rings chances are he's a world class nerd interested in Star Wars and video games. My advice would be to get into those things too. So you have something to talk about.

Time to learn how to be more like golem, my pretty. ^_^

I HATE people like that. "You like my fandom, and I just met you? You're much better than my girlfriend for that reason and only that reason!" FYL indeed. A smack to the face is due.