By JStein - 29/11/2012 04:33 - United States - Hampshire

Today my boyfriend and my best friend had a very lengthy, detailed conversation about Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, of which I know nothing about. Once they stopped, I looked at him and smiled, and he responded with, "Why can't you be more like her?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 395
You deserved it 8 950

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should read that, it's not a classic for nothing... It is acceptable to have different interests than your boyfriend, but maybe you could try looking into what he likes, some of my ex-boyfriends showed me some great movies, books and music!

I don't really agree, people often have different interest and while she could definitely watch a movie with her bf of show interest, she doesn't have to. and the way he commented on it was really harsh.

Comments

robo_thunder 13

I don't think the problem is unshared interest, its that fact that Ops boyfriend would make a mean comment like that over one thing they don't have in common. They could share many other interest.

Maria_Obligacia 14

I am *sure* it's not just one thing that they don't have in common. It was probably just the last straw. LOTR is pretty big deal for those who are interested in the genre and there is a lot of other personality issues around who is and who is not into that sort of stuff. He probably finds it hard to have an interesting conversation with her, generally.

robo_thunder 13

So if someone doesn't know a lot about LOTR they will have difficulty with an intelligent conversation? Yeah..that makes sense..

I love LOTR, Star Wars, and other seemingly "nerdy" things, but there was once a time where I didn't know what any of it was about and thought they were dorky. Could be the case for OP too. Just because she hasn't discovered it yet doesn't mean she's uninteresting or dull.

He probably said it as a joke, try to have some distance instead so you could laugh about it rather than to take it personal.

OddShoeLaces 13

Hey that isn't fair, so she doesn't like them. They're a couple. That doesn't mean she has to go start liking all the shit he does. IAYLS.

She never said she didn't like it, just that she knew nothing about it.

kandi_kid69 15

Because that's the best way to handle things. .-.

One does not simply smile cluelessly after a LoTR discussion. Shame on you, young hobbit!

YDI for never having watched lord of the rings, sorry OP best trilogy ever

redmane 21

Or read the books. Just a thought.

Or not if she doesn't like that sort of thing.

Lotr. Trilogy? Hmm hobbit... Similarion... Oh nvm. /end sarcasm

As long as you aren't a hobbitual offender, you'll be fine. Don't think about Mordoring either of them what what he said - it was just a joke. I'm sure he'll ring you up and explain.

AVENGER412 8

You Gollum give her credit for sitting through a conversation about a subject she barely gave a Gam-geeBout. For Elrond, she'll know to take a trip There and Back Again when the topic arises. -Please forgive me.

#7 You aren't the OP's BF's best friend by any chance?

I'm about 98% sure you're overreacting. My sister loves sports and so does my boyfriend, while I'm not athletic. He said the same thing after a conversation with her about soccer, but somehow I'm not worried that he's leaving me.. I'm pretty certain OP's boyfriend would have said it jokingly, or mock-serious.

It does help having even a slight knowledge of his hobbies (: it can help in many way (: you won't feel left out and it helps the relationship (: