By Enrique - 07/02/2010 01:19 - United States

Today, I work at McDonalds. I burned my hand while cleaning their grill and have a 2nd/3rd degree burn from my pinky to my wrist. When told about this, my manager told me that there was "nothing that they could do for me and to tough it out". However I was given a free McFlurry. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 996
You deserved it 5 004

Same thing different taste

Top comments

PLEASE write down in detail what happened and everything he said to you . The sooner the better; the fresher it is in your mind, the more you will remember. Save all written materials, receipts for medical care and medication, including over-the-counter drugs. Take pictures of your injury, if you haven't already and make sure it is dated somehow. Take another picture every few days and date it. Write down all the effects of your injury, particularly things that you can't do because of it. If you do call HR, write down everything you told them and everything they told you. They may advise you to file a Worker's Compensation claim. It would be very good to talk to a lawyer before do this or sign any type of agreement with the company. Get better quickly and as soon as you are well, find a lawyer. If you're underage, have your parents seek out an attorney for you. You might very well qualify for your county's Legal Aid which will be free or absolutely no more than you can afford. But don't let this pass. It's not right, and it's my strong belief that you are entitled to damages. If that manager gets away with treating you like this, he will do it to more employees. This is what civil law is for, IMO. (I work in the legal field, BTW.)

greg1234567890_fml 2

right after i read the first sentence i knew it was FYL

Comments

erizzz 0

that rocks! this is not an fml. bring on the burn! mcflurries = the shit

16underscores 0
emily234 0

there is actually not much they could have done if you burned yourself cleaning/steaming the grills or whatnot. You should have been wearing your safety gear, that's what it's there for. I burned myself a similar way at McDonald's as well, and in orientation everyone is required to sign a safety agreement before your first shift. In that document it states that any injuries received while not wearing the proper equipment do the job does not fall on to the restaurant. Yea your manager should have reminded you to put your stuff on, but it's ultimately your fault.

this is not true because companies have rules regarding worker injuries. they need to be documented and there are protocols to follow. a real manager saying that would be fired for such conduct. do research before posting things like this

Listen to everyone! You need to go to the doctor/emergency room and file a workman's comp form. They are absolutely required to pay for all medical treatment and pay you for any time you are off of work. I can't believe anyone could be a manager at a corporate business and not realize the company's liability. Don't try to go after that manager specifically, just record their reaction and they will probably be dealt with. I have worked in restaurants for 15 years, from big corporate ones to small family owned, and they ALL know they are responsible for ANY injuries of employees, even if you did something stupid to cause it. Which I'm not saying you did. That guy is a moron and so completely wrong its laughable. While like #20 said, you may have had to sign something, and maybe you weren't wearing the required equipment, all that means is you can't sue them or accuse them of unsafe working conditions. Regardless they still need to pay your medical bills and give you workmans comp for time off. An injury on their premises is still an injury.

dude go to the hospital and get it checked

this ^ you had 1st/2nd degree I was a manager at mcdonalds and I would have treated your burns with appropriate first aid, then sent you to the doctor to get your burns dressed. Then filled out the employer part of the WCB claim, and the dr. would have as well. then you get to take whatever time off dr. said or performed modified duties so there was no lost time. good luck to you

youthink_fml 0

Exactly. How long do you have to leave your hand on a grill for it to become black charcoal?

pansy2me 0

there is something they can do! they need to file an incident report!! Lazy arses! they can be in trouble. take pix and go hospital they can help you. inform your boss that u went. they will want to file a report than, they know they are on cahoots. go to human resources as well.

pansy2me 0

it happened to me, I got 3rd degree burn from a steamer cooker at work last year. Boss Lady did not want to do a thing until I gave her my doctors note.

gingerlady20 0

I know how you feel! I also work at McDonald's. I have a scar about 3 inches long on my forearm, from the Filet O' Fish bun steamer and many on my hands from the grills. Your manager should have filled out an incident report, and you should go to the hospital. If there's serious damage then your general manager has to do a follow up. If that happened at my store, I would have been sent home.. or to the hospital. Definitely don't take this lightly! Hopefully you heal quickly, although my burn took a long time.