By farrahfarrest_ - 02/07/2009 19:49 - United States

Today, I went to the doctor. I told her I felt down all the time. She asked me a few questions and she told me I was depressed. She suggested to go home and find the sources of my depression. When I told my parents, they started laughing and said "Yeah, right." I think I found my source. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 674
You deserved it 3 827

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ghost_light 0

To those who are falsely equating depression with being emo: **** you. Despression is a legitimate illness that can be as debilitating and painful as any other, and you should hope that you never find yourself drowning in it. It is NOT simply a "state of mind" and cannot be alleviated just by merely wishing it away; for many it takes years of therapy and sometimes medication to finally get out of it. Seriously--cut the ignorance and pick up a book.

hellobananas 0

Sometimes parents think it's "just a phase" and that the kid'll get over it. That doesn't mean they should laugh though. If you said the doctor told you you were depressed, then FML. If you just left that part out, then it's more of a YDI. Either way, sorry bout that. Being depressed sucks, and if your rental units don't even know or care... I've been there.

Comments

do what i do, get on a site like this and think to yourself, wow... people have shittier lives than i do! oh yeah, the max dose of Effexor helps too :P btw, don't commit suicide, my friend did it, it's the coward's way out and it hurts more people than you can imagine. the survivors wrack themselves with guilt thinking 'why didn't i call?'

I'm getting quite sick of everyone who is claiming that "emo" = depression. It doesn't. Emo: Short for "emotional." Usually used to refer to the clique of teenagers who dress in all black, hide their faces in their hair, and otherwise partake in the fad. Sometimes used to describe the style (such as saying someone has "emo hair.") Used more negatively to refer to teenagers who think they are depressed over little things, whine about life even they they probably have it pretty well, and "accidentally" show everyone the cuts on their wrists that really prove they are "depressed." Depression: A chemical imbalance in the brain in which the individual does not receive enough of the feel-good chemical serotonin, leading to symptoms such as loss of interest, unexplained sadness, and numerous other negative effects. It is a legitimate mental disorder, meaning that it is difficult, if not impossible, for one to "get over it," "man up," or anything of the sort. Get it right, please. There's a difference, and unfortunately, because of all the so-called "emo kids" who whine about life and are generally just obnoxious, true depression gets downplayed and shoved into the same boat with the emos. OP, I'm sorry you have to deal with parents like that. My best friend is clinically depressed; her parents wouldn't believe her until a doctor suggested it. I guess the best thing I can say is try to get the doctor to talk to them, and if they still are like that, try to get away and get some real help.

Sparkiee93 3

Dude, I know where you're coming from. I first started dealing with depression when I was a little little kid, third grade I think, but it really picked up in fifth grade, and went on until about a year ago. My mom and dad just blew it off to me wanting attention (Jesus Christ, it still stings to think about, here I am twelve years old, no friends, crying every day at school and at home, cutting the hell out of my arms, "Oh, she just wants attention she will get over it.") I was screaming for help, both literally and figuratively, their response was to tell me to stop making those noises or *insert what you would tell a toddler who is throwing a fit at a toy store*. I could write a novel on my experiences as a little kid, but I won't. I'm going to stop now. Though I still harbor some anger at my parents for what I went through, but I realized that they just don't understand, it's not that they care about me, it's not that they don't love me, it was too hard for them to come to terms with the idea that their child could really be going through that, so, they covered it up and basically brainwashed themselves. That's what your parents are doing, there, sadly, isn't anything that you can do about it though. You have to play happy while lifting yourself to your feet on your own, but once you come to terms with that the sky is the limit for you! Good luck.

I'm sorry that happened to you, man. Sounds like your parents don't know you at all.

umm i dont understand, your parent gave birth to you, raised you, are now housing you and you are blaming them? this is the reason people shouldn't have children. go enjoy your life and stop whining about your "depression"

I know #159's comment is from 2010, but I must reply to it since I have depression. Depression is a real mental illness. It has nothing to do with how great or horrible someone's life is. Is this what you say about everyone with an illness?

booo5 1

That suxs depresion sux ignorant parents sux avoid!.

Lady_Zydrate 1

'oh, its just cancer, get over it' **** off, I suffer depression and I struggle every day to get by even with medication. Op, I hope your parents will learn depression is a serious condition and will help you though it

hateevryone 14

Am I the only one who thought it said ''because I fall down all the time''