By farrahfarrest_ - 02/07/2009 19:49 - United States

Today, I went to the doctor. I told her I felt down all the time. She asked me a few questions and she told me I was depressed. She suggested to go home and find the sources of my depression. When I told my parents, they started laughing and said "Yeah, right." I think I found my source. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 674
You deserved it 3 827

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ghost_light 0

To those who are falsely equating depression with being emo: **** you. Despression is a legitimate illness that can be as debilitating and painful as any other, and you should hope that you never find yourself drowning in it. It is NOT simply a "state of mind" and cannot be alleviated just by merely wishing it away; for many it takes years of therapy and sometimes medication to finally get out of it. Seriously--cut the ignorance and pick up a book.

hellobananas 0

Sometimes parents think it's "just a phase" and that the kid'll get over it. That doesn't mean they should laugh though. If you said the doctor told you you were depressed, then FML. If you just left that part out, then it's more of a YDI. Either way, sorry bout that. Being depressed sucks, and if your rental units don't even know or care... I've been there.

Comments

the OP doesnt say that they sent them to the doctor, she says that she went to the doctor. And the doctor told her she was depressed, not that she was feeling depressed. so read the ******* post and how on earth is that not belittling?

The OP also didn't say that she was a teenager. She could be in college and still live at home. Many abusive parents give their children food, shelter etc but that doesn't make it okay.

xXmoses_rocksXx 0

Wow...you have no idea what you are talking about. The OP isn't being ungrateful to her parents, you dolt! She went to the doctor of her own accord and said doctor told her she was depressed. Just because her life isn't as ****** up as it COULD be, doesn't mean it's not ****** up. And the fact that her parents LAUGHED just proves that they are complete and total dunderheads who aren't even fit to parent a ROCK! So, leave the OP alone. AND TO ALL THE ******* SAYING 'EMO' = DEPRESSION, **** YOU! 'EMO' JUST STANDS FOR EMOTIONAL! IT DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN SOMEONE IS SUICIDAL OR THAT THEY CUT! IT JUST MEANS THAT A PERSON IS VERY EMOTIONAL, WHETHER IT BE THROUGH HAPPINESS, ANGER, OR SADDNESS! God, some people on here are real cold-hearted, brainless assholes who LOVE criticizing people to make themselves feel better. GET A ******* LIFE!! OP, don't worry. Move out as soon as you can and never look back. I'm sorry your parents are assholes.

problems of a teen...grow up and laugh about urself

OP, you should go back to the doctor and have him or her call your parents and set them straight. Parents tend to jump into a great big vat of denial at any hint that their child might have a mental health problem, and they're more likely to listen to a licensed professional about it than to their own offspring.

That's nasty... I think parents can too often fall into the trap of thinking their kids "belong" to them, and not give them enough respect as individuals. Definitely get your doc to set them straight, sounds like they need a good hard wake-up call to their behaviour. And... give the meds a try... Definitely stick with therapy... If the meds are no good, ask for a different kind, but don't give up. You can get through this.

musu_fml 0

Depression is a clinical mental disorder, not just "feeling sad". I'd seriously doubt any doctor that'd diagnose it from just a chat and a few questions. And by the by, if the OP really IS suffering from clinical depression, then there won't be an outside "source" for it; the cause is a mental disorder, not their parents being cruel; take the parents away and the depression will remain, IF it's actually clinical depression. That the doctor has given this advice, to me, suggests it's not. People who claim they're suffering from depression when they're just sad, or people who say they have an eating disorder when all they have is a lack of willpower, or people who say they have a food allergy when in reality they're just fussy, are all insulting the people who DO suffer from these legitimate problems, and are actually harming public perception of their problems by belittling them with their own false claims of suffering.

to all the ******* who said shit like "its a state of mind," "get on with it", "EMO", "quit whining" and especially "you're thinking wrong, ive been depressed and seeing how lucky i am made it all better!" **** YOU ALL. its not just a "State of mind", its you. completely, there is no way that just willing yourself out of a depressive episode can work. depression can take over your entire life - literally, every part of it - and getting to the point where youre planning out your own suicide is rarely feeling "depressed." theres a part of your brain that releases seretonin - feel good chemicals - and stress can cause it to stop working properly. thus, triggering CLINICAL depression. you think you know what its like and you're so great because you overcame it by this thinking? either your depression naturally took its course and you got better by yourself or you mean that you just felt a bit shit for an hour or two and felt sorry for yourself. you think all teenagers are like this? most teenagers go to school, study, hang out with friends - lead NORMAL lives, but REAL depression (That is not just emo kids, as you probably think) can **** that all up. no matter how hard you try, no matter what you do, your life can turn to utter shit and you cant function any more. its a mental illness which has ****** my life over entirely and pushed me as far as i can go. dont ******* dismiss its seriousness if youve never really been there.

I agree with you about how it is a chemical imbalance (nobody is arguing this point). However, there are certain triggers that can worsen a person's depression. When I'm around supportive people, it gives me hope even though I still have depression, but when I'm around my unsupportive parents it worsens it. I think this is what was meant by "source," but I also could be wrong.

My girlfriend is in the same boat; she gets no support from her parents with her depression. I know the kind of shit you have to deal with and I hope things get better for you. And I do recommend "fuzz therapy": when you start feeling down, hug a cat. It just might make you feel a bit better.

hbgoddard 0

YES! YOU ARE TOTALLY RIGHT! I was depressed for a long time in school because I was never accepted, and it sucks loads of ass. I went to therapy and got over my depression, but I know how it feels and I don't make fun of depressed people. Keep spreading the word man, you rock.

I totally know how you feel. My parents are the same way. Take care of yourself :)

ISeeStarsBitchh 0

I love how ALL of the douchebags reply to comment on the TOP......just to be noticed. OP;; Yeahhh. I found my source too. My whole family.

Heh... my parents act the exact same way. Which is way you should try finding your own health insurance, because - like my parents - if they laugh at that, the only person who'll take care of you is YOURSELF.