By poorgirl - 17/05/2016 13:03 - United States

Spicy
Today, I was reminded what poverty is like when I had to choose between buying food and buying pads. Now, I have to take constant bathroom breaks and wipe off my pad. I don't get paid until after my period ends. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 322
You deserved it 1 706

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Invest in a menstrual cup. The cups are reusable and pay for themselves over just a few months.

You could always use toilet tissue as a pad or a cloth. Not the best option, but better than not eating

Comments

blackrose1996 11

If you have a Salvation Army where you are go and talk to them

For any ladies finding themselves in this sitch - here's where you can find pads free: 1. Free clinics 2. Planned Parenthood 3. Churches with donation centers 4. Women-only shelters 5. Some women's crisis counseling centers Just explain your financial situation, and most of these places would be happy to help you.

Most free clinics or emergency rooms will provide pads if you ask.

I'm sure there's places to get free supplies maybe a free clinic?

Get a menstrual cup! There are disposable ones, 6 for $3, or reusable ones that you just have to buy a rinse for and rinse it out every time you use it!

Maybe you should learn to budget your money.

Maybe budgeting money doesn't work because the economy is ****** up? There's nothing in this post that implies OP has poor financial management skills. It could very well be that- like so many people who get stuck working minimum wage and with heavily limited hours- that OP is in the unfortunate position of where they have to put all their money into bills and rent, but not 'poor enough' to qualify for any sort of aid. Maybe you should be less of an asshole next time instead of jumping to the conclusion that OP is financially inept when there are dozens, if not hundreds, of reasons they could end up in this situation. All the budgeting in the world won't help you in certain situations.

The wife and I make reusable pads for women that live in poor countries around the world. I'm sure you can find on the Internet on how to make them. It involves a wash cloth/ towel and some fabrics. Needle and thread. Hand wash or throw in the laundry when done.

You could get an infection using literally one pad... At least use a shit ton of toilet paper

Doesn't anyone here have a savings account? No offense to OP though, having to choose between food and pads is a tough decision. But whenever I'm low on money and have to wait for my monthly salary I use a bit of my savings account and make up for it the next month.

Clearly you've never really been poor. When your bills take all of your paycheck and more (my parents had to juggle who to pay late each month despite having three jobs between them), there's no such thing as a savings account.

It's called living paycheck to paycheck which basically means you use that entire psyched to live leaving no money to make a savings account. And if OP is on any sort of government assistance they can have their benefits revoked for having too much money saved.