By dunicha - 17/11/2011 00:37 - United States

Today, I was reading a book in German, which I don't know very well. Suddenly I reached a passage I had no trouble understanding. Excited, I showed my husband, saying I was finally getting the hang of it. He laughed and patted my head. Turns out, that particular passage was a quote. In English. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 372
You deserved it 38 317

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kickazz16 15

Did you recently suffer a sharp blow to the head?

Comments

In my head you were instantly one of the Texan people on another site I post on, but you most likely aren't. Either way, this is very cute - although you did deserve your husband's reaction - and from a fellower beginner at German, keep going! Are you a fan of any of the Neue Deutsche Härte bands?

Bonns_fml 2

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Icecream93 4

dude I speak german french dutch and english I have no probs

'A horrible language'... wow. Okay. You'd think I'd be used to brainless morons on the internet by now, but hey, I guess I'm not.

Narrow minded you need more decaf. Or more de something.

drawmesunshine 17

The German language is boss. I've always wanted to learn it, but the only options my high school had were Spanish and ASL :/ One of these days, Alice, auf zum Mond.

tehrealone 6

Hate to burst your bubble but English and German are alike in sound.

samikitty961 8

das ist nicht nett! i think german is a beautiful language! my favorite in fact! es ist meine lieblings! i am learning it right now! yeah, its kind of hard to learn but its worth it! and is this what you do for fun? you try to discourage people from trying to learn by telling them that its too difficult and they should just give up? that is just not nice at all!

babygeek 4

Am I the only one who noticed that he spelled "irregular" wrong? Seriously, you should learn your own language before you go dissing other people about their second language. The other day in English class I responded to someone in German. Then in German class I said something in Spanish. Shit happens.(:

Spreche sie deutsch douche bag? Expand your horizons and get your head out of your self absorbed nationalistic ass. It's never a bad thing to appreciate another culture.

samikitty961 8

its sprechen Sie deutsch. ich spreche. Sie sprechen. js.

ConnyTheUnicorn 8

If you say, Germany is a horrible language, you just don't understand it. Maybe you are even German, like me, and just don't see the beauty of our language, maybe to you it sounds to 'common'. Speaking it correctly, and 'understanding' how the language works are two different things, even a lot of people here don't. Yes, learning it will be horrible, and one will never speak it without mistakes if not spoken for years, but that is not a reason to say it is 'horrible. The good thing in German is, that you can make almost EVERYTHING out of the words and also the grammar, if you are able to. That is why German poetry is so amazing.

To be fair, I speak 3 languages and it is easy to sometimes start a sentence in one language, and end in another one. Especially if i talk to my parents then my bf which speak 2 different ones. But ydi the pat on the head. I would done same :)

Cupcakegirl15 0

im learning German in high school :)

nice to see people taking the time to learn german deutschland ist toll!!

I'm surprised with the negative feed back on here. OP is educating herself! If you can't laugh at your own mistakes...? A pat on the head from your spouse? Okay that's weird.....:)

Am I the only person here who is completely fluent in a foreign language and speaks both languages roughly equally on a daily basis, speaking with native/fluent speakers of both languages, as well as bilingual speakers of both languages, and has not yet *once* ever confused the two languages? There have been times when I've forgotten words in either language, but I've never confused the two, ever. And I don't really see how anyone ever could. There was one time when I was learning a third language, and I had to go back to try to speak the second language after a long time of not speaking it (and having forgotten a large number of its words), and not yet being fluent in the third language, and several words from the third language accidentally came out, but that only happened once or twice and was only in the learning phase of trilingualism.

Nice high horse! Get off of it! If you took the time to read the comments before yours, you'd realize you're not the only one who can speak foreign languages... -_-"

drawmesunshine 17

You, sir, are an idiot. Your mistake was "only in the learming phase?" Well, what phase is OP in? Waning gibbous? Think before you type, and you might avoid making an ass of yourself.

You're the only one who seems to need three paragraphs to brag about it.

perdix 29

Dumkopf! At this point in time, it is just cute and quaint to learn any language that's not Chinese.

Ah, perdix. I hate to call you out on it... But it's Dummkopf. With a double m. :P