By TexasGirl24 - 10/09/2016 12:51 - United States - Houston

Today, I was making a shake at work when the cup fell off the blender. I went to catch it, and instead caught the teeth of the still-spinning mixer. When my hand was still bleeding five minutes later, my supervisor told me to clock out until it stopped. I lost money for getting hurt on the job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 631
You deserved it 1 216

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your milkshake brings the lawyers to your yard!

I could represent you, but I'd have to charge.

Comments

I heard there is no workers comp in Texas and they just let workers suffer.

In the state of Texas employers are required to provide employees compensation or reimbursement for injuries obtained while "on the clock". Your manager is required by law to complete, notify General Manager, send a copy to Corporate/business owner, and appropriately file an incident report for ANY incident no matter the degree of severity. Best course of action, since apparently your injury warranted having to "clock out", would have been to seek immediate medical attention. Know your rights and research "Texas Workers' Compensation Law" and "Texas Workers' Compensation Act".

If you had to get stitches or any type of medical treatment your company would have to report it to OSHA and making you clock out like that is illegal. File a complaint with OSHA. If your company didn't follow the proper procedures they are looking at 100s of thousands of dollars in fines. Not to mention that by reporting it to OSHA means you are legally untouchable for getting fired for it. It's easy to do.

the exact same thing happened to me the other day with a potatoe slicer. (not peeler. it has a ton of blades and cuts potatoes into wedges)

To everyone saying it's illegal: No it is not. Food safety procedures dictate that you remove the injured person from the process until such time as they are not a risk for contaminating food/equipment. Whether 5 minutes, or 5 hours. As for the no pay that varies by state.

dguzman92 12

that's illegal, you should look up the policies and get with your HR rep asap.

oc77067 5

That's incredibly illegal, they're required to pay you for your shift, as well as for any medical bills incurred, if you're hurt on the job. I dropped a knife on my hand last year and I made sure I was paid for every minute.

That's your fault for dropping that knife on your hands.

Why the **** would you make for a still spinning motor, do you not know health and safety?

Please please don't let them get away with that! Knowing what it takes to run a business kisn't always easy with every little in and out, but employing a staff REQUIRES insurance. Making you clock out is beyond illegal. Write everything down as it happens with the time for a potential lawyer. A lawyer with the proper proof would have a field day with this.

How is it possible to knock a blender off, remove the blender lid, and shove your fist through a milkshake into the blade before it stops spinning? Fyl indeed.