By frenchgirlll - 27/04/2009 04:43 - United States

Today, I was giving my crush a lift home from a mutual friend's house. When he got in the car, my mom asked in French, "Is this the guy you won't stop talking about? You can do so much better!" Of all the things I've told about him to my mom, I forgot to mention he's French as well. FML
I agree, your life sucks 61 900
You deserved it 12 740

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Parents always say stupid things. It's not like you can't expect it at least once in your life. Sometimes it can even be out of jealously.

Comments

Your mom is dumb. French people are everywhere, you can't just say rude things to one another and not expect other people to not understand you.

Sorry, Hope he doesn't think it's a reflection of you! Fail to your mum. In any event no matter what language...don't talk about someone while they're still around!

rt523 0

i suppose you can't help what your mom says, in another language or not. FYL

Not to worry, OP. Since he is French he is used to people around him being assholes. No doubt his mom said the same about you.

Kitty34_fml 0

YDI. I hate when people talk in other languages about people when they are standing right there. It is incredibly rude. Your mom is a bitch as well.

It's rude to talk in a language you don't think other people are going to understand right in front of them. Like, even if he didn't understand it it would have been awkward. Couldn't she have said that later, or NOT AT ALL?

GOT DAMN!!! That's a parent for you.

Your mom is an elitist bitch for just assuming she's the only other person in a room who speaks even limited French. It's rude to speak another language around someone when you are clearly leaving someone out, and it's especially rude to use it as a means of talking shit about people whom you assume are too stupid to understand you. You'd think she'd have eventually realized that people sometimes speak some of the most commonly spoken and taught European languages. FYL

It is an FML for the OP too. Now the guy thinks shes probably a shit talker like her mom or that she is obsessed with him. Also, kind of dumb for your mom to assume that he didn't know French. French is learned in school and is spoken by alot of non French people.

#50. It IS rude, unless someone is very uncomfortable conversing in the language that all of the people mentioned speak. If her mom spoke no english, or so litle that it was a mental drain, it would have been understandable for her to speak to her daughter in french, but to ask her daughter to translate to try to include the boy. If she speaks decent English, she's an inconsiderate bitch just for doing that. It's like whispering to one another when there is clearly another person in your presence - it makes people feel talked about, left out, and very uncomfortable. It's rude to have a private conversation that specifically leaves a third person out when there are only three people, unless it is a brief conversation - like, how did your test go? you say, good! and then you tell him what was said. If her mom was uncomfortable conversing in English, her kid could have been a conversational conduit. And speaking French to your parents at home is different than speaking to your parents in French when there are other people around. Being native French doesn't excuse you from being a decent hostess and a civil human being.