By KMKWEEN - 16/02/2009 14:37 - United States

Today, I was at work. I work at a grocery store and a woman pulls a cart to me filled with chips, breads, lunch meats, and sodas. I said to her "Looks like you are going to have a fun party" she then looks at me and says "My mother just died, this is for after the funeral. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 909
You deserved it 10 679

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Just quickly say, "I'm sorry to hear that ma'am." However it sounds like the people who replied never actually been to a funeral. Afterwards they usually have a small gathering of people. They usually serve stuff like sandwhich and stuff and people talk, then they leave. It's not a "pig out" as suggested by some people. Think: sad party.

Comments

#18 i hope ur joking. if ur not - that's seriously sick. o_O

#6 - Some of us in retail are expected by our employers to converse with our customers. Therefore, it is a required part of our job as well. OP, you are not in the wrong at all.

I agree with #6. One of the main reasons my wife got fired from a job was because she commented (not rudely) about a customer's order, just in passing, and they complained. I don't want people talking about why I buy what I buy. Sometimes I'll feel the desire to explain to the person at the register why I have a weird combination of items, but I don't appreciate being asked. Totally your fault.

So it's perfectly fine for you to volunteer information when you feel you're being judged, but it's not OK for someone to volunteer information in a normal setting. Double standards. Makes perfect sense.

Jeesh. Why the harsh reaction to just chatting with a customer? I'm sure that the woman wasn't actually upset by OP's comment, to be honest -- there's not much that can take you lower than shopping for lunch meats to be served at your mother's funeral. I'm sure the customer was already acutely aware. Why can't we have genuine interactions with people at all times, whether they're working or not? I wish everyone would just stop taking themselves so seriously. If you're the kind of person who would get upset at a comment like this, you're part of the reason why the lives of so many are needlessly miserable. Please, just practice kindness!

"Looks like you are going to have a fun party"? Damn, I want to go to one of these "Chips, bread, soda, and lunch meat" parties this guy is going to, it sounds off the hook!

FlavorfulUnicorn 4

I used to be a cashier at a grocery store, so I totally know about the "make small chit chat" thing. It's not the OP's fault. Who's going to think that chips and soda are going to be for anything BUT a party? I could see myself saying the same thing. And anyone who thinks that someone working with the public should refrain from making small talk with their clientele... well obviously you have no experience in that field.

I've done that too! I work in a clothing store and a woman was trying on outfits and I said, "Is it a special occasion?" She burst into tears and said, "My husband just died." She told me not to feel badly, how could I have known. But I still felt like the biggest jack ass.

Maybe that person was just trying to make you feel like an ahole.

Gee, how terrible for you. I bet your life is way worse than hers because you had to find out her husband had died, and the only thing going wrong in her life is... HER HUSBAND HAS DIED.

stargirl14 0

not really an fml cuz how were you supposed to know