By Anonymous - 19/10/2009 08:46 - United States

Today, I started my first day at work, I've been unemployed for a while and am in college, so naturally I have no money. At the end of my shift, I ask what we do with the extra bread, and they tell me to throw it away. Being poor and hungry, I decide to take the bread home. I got fired for stealing. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 438
You deserved it 10 301

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should have just asked if you could have it.

You should've asked first. Some places have very strict policies about things like that, but they may have said yes if you had asked. Technically, you WERE stealing.

Comments

Of course you were fired, they do that everywhere. You should have asked, and if it was no, then it was no. Your life is not f***ed, it's a rule dude.

and you didn't shove the bread up your ass to hide it? (checks over by judges' table) What's that? He did? Wow. Epic fail, dude.

Sorry, but I have to say YDI for not asking if you could take it. (Or for not being slick enough about fake-trashing it.)

You should've asked if you could just take it home instead of just taking it. I used to work at McDonalds and we were supposed to throw the cookies away after 4 hours, but there were many evenings when I'd ask if I could bring them home and the managers would let me, even though it was against the store policy.

bugmenotmofo 34

There have been a lot of such cases in Germany recently. Employees got fired for "stealing" six maultaschen (pastries filled with beef, spinach and other ingridients), or for returning pledge-coupons worth under 1Euro, "stealing" from a buffet before it took place... sick world.

Welcome to the wonderful world of capitalism: if the company is unable to make money off it, nobody is allowed to have it for free.

I have worked at multiple grocery stores... and it is common protocol at every food store that you will get fired if you are caught eating or taking home an item that has been marked a "Loss." (This includes cans that are dented, bread that is just one day expired, chips that have a small rip in the packaging.) Why is it so strict? BECAUSE SOMEOOONNEE IS ALWAYS GOING TO TRY TO RETURN THE PRODUCT TO THE STORE AND RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US! SO yes.. you always have to ask, and sometimes they will say no, but most times a manager will simply take a sharpie and initial where you scan the item so it can not be returned for store credit. These rules are there for a reason people. We lose money for the idiots that go dumpster diving and then return the expired food that they find (and believe me, that DOES happen.)

Good point. 35,000,000 laws because some people refuse to accept just 10 Commandments.

jawanessa 0

There should just be one commandment: Don't be a douchebag.

Judging from FMyLife.com, 99% would break it.

one simple process could have saved that... Bag, Label, Reduce. youl have to pay, but you wont get sacked

alwaysalady 0

I hate that. I have worked at several different fast food joints, and the good ones said that if its going to be thrown away, to mark it on the waste chart, and then quietly take it home. We also had a five dollar credit for food every day. Those two rocked. Then I worked at one that allowed no meal credits, and forced us to throw perfectly good food into a nasty bucket, and hten some poor soul had to count out every fry, every tomato, every bun... it was repulsive. You should have asked, or been smoother, though