By alynna007 - 02/01/2013 10:31 - United States - Lakewood

Today, I overheard my mother telling my sister that she expects my marriage to fall apart any day now. Apparently, I have no concept of what "marriage" really means. My husband and I just celebrated our 7th anniversary, while my mother is planning her 5th wedding. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 360
You deserved it 2 319

Same thing different taste

Top comments

DarkJediLove 19

Don't mind her, she seems to think marriage is about quantity and not quality.

Comments

indielove 13

She's obviously bitter and had to say something that would make her feel better about herself. You should be proud; 7 years strong. It's getting harder to see marriages last in this day and age.

blunttobluntest 12

31 - My parents have been married for 17 years and have been engaged with each other for 19 years. My mom was married at eighteen and was engaged at 16 but they're still stronger than ever! Really, in this day and age I think marriage isn't taken as seriously as it was back then. Nowadays, people take divorce as an option before even married!

38 Remember the FML where the girl got engaged to a guy that another girl liked.. The only reason she said yes was because "If it doesn't work out I can just divorce him.."

not a hippocrite. just has never looked into a dictionary

"Really, in this day and age I think marriage isn't taken as seriously as it was back then." Ugghhh, I hate the 'marriage was a more serious matter in the past!' comments, yet they keep appearing on every marriage-related FML. You know what, I'm reading The Canterbury Tales right now and there's one story about a woman who was married five times, all while that book was written in the 14th century. The past isn't better, it's just different.

63 - THANK YOU. I feel like divorce is just more acceptable now then it was. People were just as unhappy in marriages back in the day then they are now.

Societal/family pressure and the average woman's inability to support herself was the only reason divorces were less common back in the day (and the legality of the matter in Catholic countries). Not only that, but life expectancy was shorter; it's easier to roll over next to a man you hate every morning and say to yourself "I'll stick it out till the plague comes back-he's bound to get it this time around." Nowadays you look at a hated spouse and it's "ugh, fifty more years of this? No thank you."

Apparently you're not reading very closely because the Wife of Bath only remarried after being widowed each time. Having a husband die and remarrying is very different from divorcing and remarrying

Is OP's mum a distant relative of the Kardashians? Coz that'll really explain everything.

I remember that one. I miss the days when marriages lasted or decades; When couples truly loved each other and were prepared to take a pledge that would last their whole lifetime.

Don't even waste any emotion on that woman's opinion of marriage, because if she is getting married for a fifth time she clearly has no idea what it takes to make a relationship work and she's probably just jealous that you've actually made yours last for several years now. What you should do is tell her that at the rate she's going soon she'll have been married more times than the number of years you've had in one marriage already :)

95 - when the hell were those days? Marrying for love is a very new novelty. Most marriages over the course of history were forced on the woman or the woman and man due to politics or money.

She had a wrong idea of what marriage is obviously

theHIGHroad2 5

Clearly she hasn't matured yet & she's obviously jealous of your marriage.

kristabelli 19

She sounds like a toxic person in your life, unfortunately. Maybe you should keep your distance from her for your own well being.

Or.. The real meaning of marriage is to have a lot of really short loveless ones!

summerguy97 16

She probably speaks of the seven year itch.

Then don't take her seriously, it's obvious her idea of marriage is vastly different from yours.

friedpwnadge 25

Her morals are bad and she should feel bad!

Honestly she reminds me of Larry king, who I believe has been married 7 times, saying that gay people would ruin the sanctity of marriage. ******* idiots

DarkJediLove 19

Don't mind her, she seems to think marriage is about quantity and not quality.

The mother is only in it for the honeymoons.

Maybe all of her past husbands kept coming home with wigs.

Ignore your mom. Clearly *she* has no concept of what "marriage" really means--unless she thinks it means you trade in your spouse for a new model when it shows flaws. Congrats on your 7th anniversary. I hope you have many more happy years.

RedPillSucks 31

envy is when you want what someone else has. jealousy is when you're pissed off that someone has or does something you wish you could do or have.

Ah ok, the difference is subtle. Jealousy requires a feeling of resentment then.

NoorFML is right, I used the wrong word.

Well from the FML, it seems like the mom is full of resentment, so I don't see why jealousy doesn't apply.

egc573 40

RedPillSucks's definition of envy is accurate enough, but the definition of jealousy is not, and the difference between them is not so subtle. Jealousy involves resentment, but it's of something that you value and fear losing (like a relationship). It's not anger over what somebody else has, it's what YOU have. To be fair, though, this is a VERY common misconception. Therefore, the mother is not jealous in this situation, but I'll bet my bottom dollar that she's envious.

Eg: I jealously guard that ring of mine/ I envy that ring belonging to my friend

She's just jealous, OP. Congrats on your (not failing) marriage. c:

Itachi319 5

Then her opinion holds no weight

1dvs_bstd 41

Your mom is jealous deep down, she desperately needs marriage counseling.

Be happy that your mom's idea of a successful marriage isn't the same as yours. Make that your toast at her wedding reception...