By dead man walking? - 04/10/2015 13:21 - United States

Today, I met my girlfriend's parents. Her dad showed me his gun collection, and said the first rule of gun safety is never to point a gun at something you don't intend to kill. All while waving a handgun in my direction and glaring at me with barely suppressed rage. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 722
You deserved it 2 207

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Relax, no matter what he says he isn't going to shoot you. Treat his daughter with respect and he will eventually stop acting so obnoxious towards you.

CynePhoba 23

Good opportunity to show him all the reasons not to shoot you and why his daughter chose you!

Comments

Why is it this always tends to happen in the states? At least to my knowledge nothing of the sort happens like that here in the uk, just at most the general 'if you hurt her you'll answer to me' kinda chat. What is there to gain by scaring off every potential partner? Only resentment from the daughter or son.

I'm assuming that it's because you don't have easy access to guns and that if you did, you'd have the same things happening? That's also why there aren't as many shootings in the UK. But it's easier to keep guns out of a waterlocked country than a country with two huge land borders. If everyone was a responsible gun owner and not like this guy, the US wouldn't have a shooting problem. The thing is, criminals usually don't mind breaking the law.

My point wasn't just about guns, although I guess your statement nullified mine. It was more about bullying the partner of the child. I'm saying I don't see that much around here, let alone guns haha.

35, that would be fine if those borders weren't with Mexico, who gets most of their guns from us because they have the tightest gun restrictions in the world, and Canada, who is, well, Canada.

Gun restrictions would only affect law abiding citizens. Criminals don't care to break the law thats why they have illegal guns already. They aren't just going to say "oh darn it all guns are illegal we have to give ours up now."

They wouldn't give their current guns up but it would be harder to get more, and to store and use them I'm guessing :)

And in this case it's the law abiding citizens that are the problem. I kinda doubt the father is the head of some underground drug trafficking organization. He's just an average Joe too irresponsible to care about proper gun safety or the safety of those people in his life.

Abstinence, man! For the love of God, abstinence!

Condoms, man! For the love of sex, condoms!

I wouldve been like cool I gotta gun too Next time Ill bring it and show you what Im wanting to Kill Lol Jk dont do that We dont want two funerals

kwerner7116 14

That's how a father should be.

It's a common thing don't worry about it

I would get out of that relationship and run far far away asap: 1) dad is crazy and doesn't give a flying f about safety rules, so he may shoot you quite accidentally, without any hate at all (although what else if not hate makes one threaten a person they just met? Politeness?), 2) if your gf is his biological daughter, she may be as crazy, just wait till the opportunity. And if they both team against you?

So how long do we wait for a follow up before we report OP missing?

That's actually the second rule of gun safety. First is "treat every weapon as if it were loaded"

We always call this rule #1, too. Because every gun is always loaded* so that doesn't have to be a rule. *they're not. (The ammo is actually in a locked box on a different floor than the guns are kept and the keys to the gun cases and the ammo are never kept together.) but it never crosses our minds that a gun isn't loaded if you treat it like it's loaded at all times.

thatonetribute 31

Relax, OP. It's totally normal for dads to be protective of their daughters. Just treat his daughter like how a lady should be treated, and be VERY respectful of him.

What you mean is: Her father is a totally outdated sexist, who doesn't think his daughter is capable of thinking and choosing the right partner for herself. This is totally not normal, and should not be encouraged in any way.

It may seem pretty extreme, but don't fret just yet OP. These dads usually seem vicious within the first few meetings but after they see that their daughter really likes you and that you treat her with respect, he'll probably come to like you.