By nurse - 03/11/2010 12:08 - Reserved

Today, I'm training to be a nurse in a hospital. Our teacher asked for a volunteer to demonstrate how bed restraints work. After I was shackled to the bed she said, "Now let's make sure they work. Are you ticklish?" My entire class tickled me until I screamed, cried and nearly wet my pants. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 540
You deserved it 5 383

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Be honest. That wasn't pee... you were just getting turned on by the restraints. ;-)

JUST_STFU_N_GTFO 0

Back in China, long time ago, they use tickling to torture people. FYL. :/

Comments

Might want to talk to your teacher about the definition of criminal assault.

Man, that super sucks. I hate being tickled. My sister used to literally "tickle-torture" me, making it so I couldn't breathe at times. I feel your pain. Though why you'd volunteer to get strapped down, I have no clue.

OMG! All those people telling op to sue the teacher... Are you numb or what? Please... If you were coming to my law firm and bother me with that, I would have you kicked out so quick that you won't even remembered coming in... Criminal charges... Silly people... As for op, FYL... I'm so ticklish I'm sure I would have wet myself!

... so in other words you know nothing about the law and have never worked in a legal office.

I think this guy's probably a desk clerk at the firm and is trying to make up stupid things. this is not a silly case... Agree with the guy above me.

To all those who r saying assault: most likely it was part of the training to check whether the restraints hold when the patient is struggling. Wildly. They use restraints only as a last resort, u kno. And she volunteered & was probably told they'd replicate a real struggling patient. And, in nursing school, expect getting touched in a teaching setting... They practice giving bed baths to one another & drawing blood...& ultimately the job involves a lot of physical contact & of course, stark language that wd b considered improper in other settings, it is a real job, not one of those paper-pushing marketing cooordinator or ivory-tower professor of feminist studies...

You could be right in which case the OP deserved it... problem is that if she was not advised that they would be "testing" the restraints then it becomes a case of assault especially when the teacher let the whole class take part in the tickling and let it go on until OP was actually crying. Teacher should have been very clear as to what was going to happen after the restraints were applied because not everyone is OK with things like this. People have sued, winning large amounts of money and costing their bosses/teachers their jobs, over far less.

If she explicitly asked them to stop & they didn't she may have a case, but look at the wording "tickled me UNTIL I screamed', not continued after I screamed, it suggests she allowed the experiment to go on without resisting. I somewhat disagree as to teacher making everything very clear, in a healthcare setting one is expected to understand some training exercises may be physically or psychologically unpleasant like having to handle needles, body fluids, excrements, practice inasive procedures on fellow students etc....& she volunteered which is key here. Most likley, she & her friends had a laugh over it afterwards & suing or even alleging assault never even came into the picture. As to suing, given there was no damage, no obvious sex/race discrimination & was in a medical training situation, I doubt she'll find a lawyer to take the case, this is after all not a teacher grabbing a student in a bar, & oh yes it'll ruin her chances of getting a job in the field...

Flipflops: I read your comments here and at 94 above, but like 98 said, they're irrelevant. I was already aware of the points you've raised when I commented earlier (#31), and I stand behind it.   First, I doubt the teacher explained the exercise. Read these comments; few people would submit to being tickled voluntarily, even for the sake of education. Second, would a nurse really tell a prospective employer, "I have experience with restraints; I've tickled someone who was in them"? No, because it's not a realistic simulation. Nurses would be trying to calm or treat the patient, not purposely trying to put him in further distress.  Lastly, and most importantly, you could justify almost anything with the excuse of "practicing". Why not break a student's leg, or dose her coffee with heroin to simulate an OD? There has to be a line somewhere. It's logical to draw the line at a) consent, b) the minimum necessary for simulation, and c) not causing permanent harm to the "practicee". (And yes, this could cause harm to OP's reputation and respect in the eyes of her colleagues.)     The teacher should've picked the strongest person in the class and told him to struggle as hard as he could. Tickling isn't necessary for something that's easily faked. This was over the line. I do agree a lawsuit and/or legal charges shouldn't be pursued. Not because this was harmless, but because it didn't cause *enough* harm to merit the stigma OP would carry by doing so. Still, she needs to make the institution aware of what happened to prevent it in the future.              

agreed with JaneDoe, and the op wouldn't be able to scream... they're being tickled. sometimes people who are being tickled can let out a yelp or two, but to be able to scream "stop!" while being tickled by 10 or more people is unthinkable in the situation. They clearly were not able to.

MrsLender_fml 3

haha, well at least that's ALL they did while you were cuffed up. :x

mathew17986g 2

wow thats horrible XD oh well at least you got a story to tell your friends...you were cuffed to a bed a tickled by an entire class....FUN!!!!

the bad OP but look at it this way atleast they did not cut you open or push it down the stairs.

Hmph. So they go and strap you down, leaving you all helpless, then all they do is tickle? Wasted opportunity. I'd have broken into my bag of tricks, to which the most recent addition is a barb-wire flogger ;)