By Anonymous - 11/12/2015 19:16 - United States - Mount Vernon

Today, I had my first job interview in months. The guy chuckled mockingly at my master's degree in philosophy and wound up admitting that he had no idea why I'd even been selected to be interviewed. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 256
You deserved it 3 732

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yeah, I'm in the "You had not one, but two chances to major in something useful" camp. What did you expect?

You should philosophize about why certain portions of mankind feel the need to be dicks

Comments

I'm with the "Philosophy is interesting, but not particularly useful" crowd. Other than showing you can work hard at something (and good for you) it's not as if it's a degree in engineering/medicine/law is it? A master's in philosophy says to me "tried to put off joining the real world for as long as possible". Hope you find a job though, OP.

Some people double major in Philosophy and another subject (like English, Sociology or even Criminology) in order to get into Law school later on. However, Philosophy on its on isn't always practical for the real world. OP's best shot is to explain how his research, communication and writing skills are relevant to whatever position he is applying for.

That's what you get when you study for a garbage diploma. Might just as well not have one. In thee times you should choose a field with your mind, and not your heart. Choose something you like and is good for the current market.

Kinda of agreeing with others about the majoring in philosophy thing... I would suggest you get your doctorate so you can teach... Otherwise that degree is a huge waste of time.

TeacherTeacher 11

Screw those people who tell you your degree is worthless. An MA in anything demonstrates perseverance and a sharp mind. Broaden your job search and see what's out there. Once you find something in your field, you won't be one of those poor souls who are wishing away the week starting on Monday and counting the days to retirement.

Getting a basic education is a right. Having said that, extra education (college) is an investment. You're on your own making big kid decisions and have to decide 1. Is it right for you? 2. What is right for you? 3. What will balance return on that investment and satisfaction

To select or not to select, that's a question you can philosophize about

I don't know what kind of jobs you're looking for, but the core skills you get out of a philoshophy degree is the ability to be able to think things through and from different perspectives, have excellent problem solving skills and other general people skills. So basically you should be looking for a job within the public sector, more specifically jobs which require you to be in constant communication with clients, where you're representing your employer/company/etc.

In most industries, to have the ability to consult and solve problems, you need reasoning AND specific knowledge of the process. Most people don't want to hire a consultant only to train them heavily in the process

I am so glad my tax money went to support you in getting a degree with nearly zero economic value! Maybe my tax money can go to the study of who rocks don't walk next. it should have a similar economic value.

Unless you're going into a job that directly deals with philosophy or historical/famous philosophers YDI.

Really? Philosophy? If you're trying to get a job, why on God's green earth did you major in such a pointless subject? Philosophy one of the lowest levels on the pyramid of basic necessities. It's pointless.