By Anonymous - 15/05/2009 11:00 - United States

Today, I had a job interview at a local business with the owner who was man, and the manager who was a woman. I thought I did pretty well because I heard the manager whisper so, as I was walking out. Then I heard the owner whisper "no fat chicks." FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 553
You deserved it 6 825

Same thing different taste

Top comments

People can be so disrespectful. :/ As though your weight has any bearing on how well you can do the job. It sounds like the owner was just being a jackass, so you're probably better off not working there at all. And btw, we have no idea what the OP looks like. The comments about she needs to lose weight are just stupid.

tick_tock 0

What a dick. You didn't deserve that.

Comments

It kind of depends on what you were applying for. If it was at someplace like Hooters you should have expected that. Other than that, the owner is a dick and you should have told him to go **** himself.

#9, I'm pretty sure there's no law against discrimination based on weight. In fact they can probably claim not hiring for health reasons.

baby_love 0

I think being over weight does show how a person would or would not work. For one, a fat person MAY not be as healthy, MAY take longer lunch breaks and one thing is certain: to become fat means you have little self control over your life and what you eat. You dont want to hire someone who has little self control over their life. YDI

pancakelover 0

You know what though... I bet you aren't really "fat," you're probably average with maybe just a few pounds... With all the pressure they put on people to stay thin these days, you see more and more people everyday who are as thin as rails being told that they are fat... It's crazy...

At least he told you, otherwise you wouldn't know what you need to do next. And, yeah, legally it is the same as saying "we don't hire smokers" or "no stupid people." They could get into trouble if they did hire a fat guy, or no chicks at all.

#8 and #13 you're apparently unaware of the equal employment opportunity act. Unless the job she's applying for requires certain physical characteristics (as in the ability to lift heavy things, etc.), what they did was illegal. You cannot refuse employment to someone just because you feel that they are fat. And your blatant prejudices of overweight people is frankly disgusting.

someone being fat doesn't mean they can't lift heavy things...

AntiChrist7 0

well you deserve it if you have no respect for your body

16, I'm not blatantly prejudiced, rofl. I'm saying that from an employers point of view, they're going to have an ideal person in mind that they want to hire, during the application process. If they aren't looking for someone overweight, then someone overweight is probably not going to get the job. That's common sense. It may be illegal, but shit happens, employers still do it. First impressions are just as important as credentials. And I happen to think affirmative action is one of the most ridiculous laws ever passed.

then you are an idiot or have never actually seen the effects of prejudice.