By gtrs750 - 09/08/2009 13:48 - Canada

Today, I gathered both mine and my girlfriend's families secretly to a restaurant. I paid the restaurant to play romantic music, and paid for the best table available. As soon as we finished our meal, our families gathered around and I proposed. She laughed and said no way. FML
I agree, your life sucks 105 293
You deserved it 8 792

Same thing different taste

Top comments

OH MAN!! :( She's a bitch... :( FYL DEFINITELY!

Wow that sucks. But on the flip side, why would you propose to someone without being at least 99.9% sure they were going to say "yes"?

Comments

Thankfully I've never seen this in real life, but what if the poster was one of those creepsters that feels he's in a serious relationship... but the girl has no idea? Hmm. But, she still sounds like a bitch - I would've figured out SOMETHING was going on if both families were at dinner/it was romantic. She could've talked to the OP prior the proposal. Whatever, obviously it wasn't meant to be.

It's a shame she laughed and said no way... but I really don't get why so many people do proposals in such public ways. Yes, many girls have dreamt of grand, romantic proposals, but that doesn't necessarily mean 'big' or 'public'. Relationships by their very nature tend to be intimate affairs. If you propose in such a big way without actually considering the girl and how she might like to be proposed to, you have every chance of failing. Having said that, more than the method of proposing is the actual feelings of the girl, and in this case it seems like they weren't aligned with yours. Hopefully you guys can bounce back from this and continue having a healthy relationship, if it's truly meant to be. But remember men: doing a proposal in a big, public way in no way makes her more likely to say yes. If I was a chick and I felt that my partner was doing it publicly solely to 'pressure' me into saying yes, I'd be more likely to get pissed off and say no out of spite.

mcsnelly 5

I kind of agree about not doing it front of a whole bunch of people, like inviting all your family/friends to watch or like at an event and taking the microphone and proposing like that...that's just a bad way to do it. Actually being in a public place, though, wouldn't be as big a deal for me. Like, if it was just in a restaurant, without the family, that'd be fine because it's not like everyone in the restaurant would be paying attention to you anyway! But, yeah, FYL about the way she could've reacted. If she wanted to say no, she could've just said she wanted to talk about it privately. She realllllly shouldn't have just laughed at you.

agreed ... you're way too young to know she was the right one for you. Why would you want to tie yourself down so young too?!

oh man that just totally did not happen at all, no girl that would date you would laugh at you for proposing, it would not happen.

hes gotta point if the chick is dating you because she actually likes you she wouldent lagh she would be polite about it though it sounds like shes dating you for money if your doing things like reserved tables at fancy resteraunt so yeah

punkrocker165 0

ydi for making barney hate you

YDI also because i dont blame the chick for turning down someone who looks like u

skullbuster 0

@pimpin88: Damn, I really wish I was editor of a publishing house so I could give you an outlet for your rambling prose that didn't involve clogging up the FML comments section. I know I stopped reading up there towards the top where you said "OK".

skullbuster 0

I'm admittedly confused as to who I should side with here: 1) OP, who was smacked down in a very public way but seems to be lacking in some way that he couldn't read his girlfriend well enough to know that she wasn't interested in marrying him. 2) Girlfriend, who shouldn't accept a proposal out of pity but had to know something was up when the families were invited out to a place that has a "best table" and live music... she could have taken a minute to ask OP what was up with this shit before he got down on his knee... I weep for you all!