By Anonymous - 20/03/2014 20:23 - United States - Du Quoin

Today, I found out why my dad always treated me badly as a kid compared to my siblings. It's because I was conceived while my mom was cheating on him. On top of that, he made it clear that he still doesn't consider me a "real" part of the family. FML
I agree, your life sucks 57 937
You deserved it 3 458

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's terrible. But don't worry, you are not the first person to have that happen to them.

That sucks cuz it's not even your fault.

Comments

notorious_me 13

Really FYL but I can't help it to make also these comments "You poor Jon Snow you.... " "Join the Night's Watch" or "I see Catelyn was also not miss perfect ...."

Sorry OP. No one should ever have to hear that from their parent(s).

skyeyez9 24

Fred is dead......or at least he was near death in a hospice according to an article I read about him a few days ago.

Cristina26 4

Well, my father started treating me badly after he divorced my mother and married the woman he cheated with. Her 2 kids from her previous marriage rank waaay higher on his priority list. Last year I asked for a laptop for Christmas. He said it`s to expensive. Few weeks later, I met with my step-sister who had a new laptop. She`s a few good years younger than me so I had no problem getting information from her. My dad bought her that laptop for Christmas. Apparently, for her it wasn`t expensive.. And she`s 16 and I heard her talking to her mother about some Burberry jacket that was "only 900 Euros"...

skyeyez9 24

I was the "leftover" child in my family as well. Except my dad played favorites with my brother because he was a boy and can (in my dad's words why he favored him) "pass on his family name, and I can't." I am talking taking my brother out to baseball games, camping, all kinds of outings...while leaving me at home. Buying him anything he wanted, but for me its "I am being selfish and dont need it." I have one child (girl) and if I had another kid, I would never play favorites cause I still remember how shitty that felt.

I feel ya, man. My father left my mother for his mistress when I was less than a year old. My older sister, who was about 6 at the time, still kept her relationship with our dad, but because I was too young to really establish any connection with him, he always treated me like I was a nuisance when my sister and I would visit him on a few weekends out of the year. He never spent much time with me, and when he did, he was either punishing me for something I touched in his house or getting annoyed when I asked him innocent questions (which is something most 4-year-old children do, anyway). Once my half-sister came along, though, she was the only one I spent time with when we visited; I'd end up babysitting my half-sister at his house while my older sister went with Dad to the park or out to a movie. What hurt most of all (and what I remember most vividly) was, when we'd talk on the phone about visiting, I'd end our conversations with, "I love you, Daddy," and the most he could usually muster was, "Uh-huh, okay." Once I started college, he decided he wanted me around - out of the blue - and only when he happened to see me working at my part-time job (he had stopped calling me and letting me visit when I turned 13 or so, so I hadn't heard from him for quite a while). He suddenly started telling me that he needed me around to help guide my half-sister through high school and impending college. He didn't ask how I was, when I was planning to graduate, how college life was, if I was dating anyone, how the family was, or what I'd been doing for the past, I don't know, five years. The conversation always came back to his crippling medical conditions, my step-mother's family, my half-sister, her grades, and her high school swimming championships. I found myself asking, "Who are you?" and never spoke with or acknowledged him again. I eventually shut him out, since he only wanted me around when it was convenient or when it favored his agenda. Honestly, some parents never learn. They'll never change their feelings about you, especially if you were born or conceived during a significant time in their lives (particularly, when my dad started cheating on my mom). It comes down to accepting that they don't want your unconditional love, that they'll never reciprocate that love, and that it's best to move on with your life, grateful for the family that sees you as something other than just a tragic event.

skyeyez9 24

I have a friend who has an experience with a pos dad. His dad left his mom for a younger woman, married her and had 4 daughters. During the time he was growing up, his dad had nothing to do with him. Years later, his dad's 4 daughters grew up had kids (all girls) and my friend has a son of his own now. This "dad" suddenly wanted to be in his son's life because (my friend and and I both came this conclusion) his dad wanted a son. He had 4 girls, and now granddaughters...etc and realized "Hey, wait, I do have a son lemme just walt into his life and pretend everything is ok" So after my friends mom did all the hard work of raising him alone, this dad wanted to just creep into his son's life. Dad never apologized, said "that is just life." And We both think had this dirtbag had a son with his new younger wife, he would have never bother to try and reconnect. Funny thing was this dad demanded he had a "right" to visit his new grandson.

I'm wondering why people have clicked on "you deserved it"????? Why would anyone think it's even remotely your fault that your father resents you for your mother's actions (that happened prior to your birth)?! It really sucks OP, that must be really tough to handle.

just my opinion, you should be mad at your mother for the way your dad is with you. I agree, as a father, that he shouldn't treat you the way he has. to get it over with take a dna test, if you match good for your family, if you don't, well, I wouldn't confirm the resultd lol